Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Seldom

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Never

Votes: 60 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious as to how many of my fellow divers actually use a snorkel. I mainly drift dive and I have not worn a snorkel for over 20 years (except on those rare occasions when I intend to snorkel). I find them uncomfortable and prone to snag. In all my "pipeless" years I have only had one operator question my lack of pipe. I asked him why he required his divers (on two shallow anchor dives) to have snorkels. He responded "safety"! When I asked him how a snorkel made me safer, he changed his reasoning to "boat rules". He was the captain so I accepted a spare and made him happy. I am "pro choice" on this issue so if you can't dive without one, more power to you. However, unless you are snorkeling to a dive site, I don't see much use for them. I am interested in how you pipe in on this issue.

---Bob

If you use the search function and enter "Snorkel" you will find many threads.

Since your poll is already posted, you might as well improve it a bit and include the alternatives of carrying a snorkel in a BC pocket, while only using it if needed.

If you want to harass a charter company that requires snorkels, do like I do and have a tiny kids snorkle that fits in your pocket. The funny thing is that in reality it is very functional, since I have some additional tube from another snorkel that will attach to the top, extending it to longer than a normal length.

My snorkel was too short. I could only dive at a few cm depth with it...

No I don't bring snorkel while diving. If I want to snorkel I will take it out of my bag.

I almost always dive with a snorkel - when freediving it means I don't have to change my surfacing orientation if I don't want to. I still have the option of spitting out the mouthpiece if it gets to be a hassle.

:snorkel:

I almost never use a snorkel - but it depends on the type of dive. I agree - it just gets in the way and snags. But, if I suspect I could have a long wait on the surface for some reason (drift dive), I might take it. I recently did a river dive where we snorkelled out a ways before we hit spring heads and boils to dive down to. I think that's the most I've ever used my snorkel in 18 years of diving. But as a standard piece of equipment, no, it usually stays in my bag.

I always carry a snorkle with me, but I either keep it i my BC pocket or strapped on my leg with my dive knife. It can come in very handy to save air on a surface swim, or in choppy water when low on air.

I feel warm and fuzzy knowing it's there :)

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I carry a snorkel since I beach dive so much, but charters that require a snorkel? That is really assinie Z

I used to have a snorkle, it was one of the first things that I got with my mask, but then after 20 dives or so I lost it on a dive.

As I never used it I didn't replace it and have not found the need for one.

As we al know the time when you might like on is on the surface at teh end of a dive when you wait for the boat in the swell.

But we also know that we should have enough reserve gas to allow us to use the reg to breathe should we have a problem.

=-)

for snorkeling.

Put the reg in your mouth. The amount of air you consume on surface will not be the reason your dive has ended prematurley or the cause of an OOA.

SS

Well since so far I mostly beach dive, yeah I use them. And it's just too much work too take it off the mask for boat dives :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom