Panic Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Llama256

Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to ask the esteemed board about something that happened to me this weekend.

I got my OW cert in 1989 and haven't dove since (simply not enough time). However, I decided to take the Advanced Open Water class this summer. Instructors were concerned about my lack of recent experience and put me through a refresher session in the pool, no problem. On Saturday I did 3 dives, including a night dive to 30 feet, no sweat. I love the ocean and have always felt very comfortable and relaxed when diving.

On Sunday, we took two boat dives. First dive was to 70 feet for our Deep Diving Specialty, no problems, had a great time. About an hour later, we dove another spot just for some sightseeing. There was a fair amount of current I had to swim against to get to the anchor line. I waited awhile to catch my breath then descended to the anchor at 40 ft.

While waiting for the divemaster to descend, I looked around the atoll, descending to about 50 ft, taking some pictures and enjoying myself. I found that there was a bit of current around the atoll, so I swam back and grabbed onto the anchor line to wait and relax.

About this time, I started feeling really inexplicably anxious, I became somewhat short of breath and became very aware of the pressure of my wetsuit on my chest. It felt like it was restricting my breathing. Remembering my recent lessons, I tried to calm down and focus on my breathing, taking slow, deliberate, breaths.

I started getting this feeling that's hard to describe, like I was in imminent danger and all I wanted to do in the world was get out of the water. It was completely irrational, and I was in complete control of my faculties, but I really wanted to get out of the water, badly. I tried to focus on my breathing, but it seemed like I was just breathing inert gas and was suffocating, without really feeling like I couldn't breath.

I didn't really feel panicked, like emotional, but I felt like I really had to get out of the water immediately or something terrible would happen, and I couldn't control the feeling, even though I kept rationalizing it to myself as either hyperventilation, slight narcosis, or CO2.

I kept fighting the feeling for about 5 minutes (seemed longer) until finally I indicated to my divemaster that I needed to ascend and began a white knuckle trip, as slowly as I could stand, up the anchor line.

All the way up, I kept thinking that there was no way I could ever get back in the water again. I felt completely afraid and depressed, like one might feel after a bad nightmare. Once on the surface, I gave the OK to the skipper and tried to pretend like nothing bad happened.

Oddly enough, after bobbing on the surface for about 3 minutes, I suddenly realized that I was missing out on some sight seeing, and I had to get back down! So I descended, and caught up with my instructor and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of my dive. Weirdly, even though I remember being terribly afraid while I was down, I couldn't imagine why I was afraid, or even recall how I felt then. I wasn't afraid of the water anymore either.

When my instructor asked me why I ascended, I lied and said I needed to equalize. Don't know if he bought it, but I got through the class.

My question is..
What was that? and how do I avoid getting it in the future? Although I don't have any visceral recollection of how bad I felt when it was happening, my rational mind does remember that it never wants to go through that experience again.

First, it sound to me like you got into a bit of a feedback loop between your imagination and your shallow breathing. That is, you began to percieve that you were in some danger (maybe this was initiated by your tight fitting wet suit) and your breathing pattern became slightly shorter and shallower. The shorter breaths reduce the amount of CO2 exchange, which gives you the reflexive sensation that you are not getting enough air. The feeling of not getting enough air feeds back into your already heightened anxiety, and before you know it, you are heading for real panic. The only way I know of to break this cycle is to concentrate exclusively on taking long, slow, deep breaths. This gets your mind off your anxiety and circumvents the poor CO2 exchange.

Second, after your extended hiatus from diving, you really should be starting off in shallower water. This will also help with the first item. Gaining confidence in the water and familiarity with the sensations will tend to mitigate any feelings of anxiety that start you down the road to panic. Perhaps you could do a dozen or so dives above ~40' and then gradually work your way deeper.

I had a bad experience early in my diving history (also during an advanced diving class) that was brought on by a number of issues, not the least of which was a sticking BC inflator. I made a very nervous, controlled ascent from 90' in water with ~5' of vis. It took about 20 dives before I really felt comfortable in the water again.

Hang in there, and stay shallow and in control before you move to deeper water. Also, remember that this isn't a contest. It's supposed to be for fun.

Lastly, try a search on panic or related subjects. There has been much useful advice given on this subject. Reading the experiences of others can be good medicine on this topic.

The feeling of "something bad about to happen" is called, Impending Sense of Doom. The feeling have having to get out of the water, "really bad" is called Urge to Escape. These two things are the hallmark signs of a Panic Attack. There are 13 other somatic or physical symptoms including chest discomfort, palpitations, shortness of breath or smothering, trembling, etc.

Lots of people talk about having "panic" underwater but few actually experience a bonafide Panic Attack. It sounds like you did. It's possible it was triggered by the heavier than normal breathing you were doing fighting the current. It's also possible to suffer a panic attack without any trigger at all.

Being prone to panic attacks may or may not exclude you from diving. I would first of all be honest with my instructor. He/she can not help you if you aren't straight with them. Second, I would get a thorough medical evaluation before I went back in the water, either by a General Practitioner with some background in diving or a Psychiatrist.

Good Luck!

John

Llama256 once bubbled...
While waiting for the divemaster to descend, I looked around the atoll, descending to about 50 ft, taking some pictures and enjoying myself. I found that there was a bit of current around the atoll, so I swam back and grabbed onto the anchor line to wait and relax.

Were you on your own?

So, the point I was hoping to make was that, there was no apparent cause for this experience. I was in shallow water, 45', knew there was no problem of making an nice slow ascent if need be, knew there was nothing wrong with my air, was comfortably warm, my dive buddy was close by, and I was just hanging on to an anchor chain waiting for the divemaster. Everything was copascetic and I was enjoying myself.

I've never experienced a panic attack before, and I feel justified in stating that I am not exceptionally prone to experiencing them. Also, I wasn't imagining anything. There was nothing about the dive that I found threatening or even irritating. I just had a sudden irrational need to get to the surface. Not because I was afraid of the water, I just HAD TO get out.

I fought the urge long enough to make a safe ascent, caught my breath and the panic completely disappeared, leaving no trace of fear at all. In a few seconds I had completely forgotten how afraid I had been.

Sounds crazy but I've seen this type of response induced by too much caffeine in the system. We now have a personal rule - no caffeine before diving. It seems to help.

I had a very similar thing happen in only 15 ft of water. I began to hyperventilate after heavy exertion and then called the dive. I have posted about it before on the board. I was very hesitant to dive after this for a while, but decided to control my fears. I have not had a reoccurance, I also believe it was a good thing in the long run. Anyone can experience panic. It's what you do about it that counts.

Keep diving, if you feel this way again, do as Crab says and conciously slow your breathing. You will be ok. Live and learn, dive and learn something every time you get in the water.

Llama256, well done that you didn't rush to the surface or rip the reg out of your buddy's mouth. Good you signalled the DM. Don't lie to your Instructor. I know it was hard to explain, but you may dive with him/her again. How can they help you in a jam if they don't know how you are?

Since you handled the night dive OK, it is hard to believe you are claustrophobic. But you have to ask yourself if this is an isolated event or do you panic on bad news generally. Be more organized in your diving and plan it better if you are more easily unnerved by unexpected events.

Since you mention current on the last dive, and being out of breathe, is it possible you are

1) not in good condition, a smoker, or overweight?

2) was your wet suit (a rental?) and too tight around the neck or chest?

3) was that regulator up to the job? If the reg was not delivering air under load it could certainly explain all that happened.

Certainly we can't jump to conclusions because this was the first time you were diving in a long time, you probably should have done a full refresher course and stuck to shallow dives.

Go get the medical but especially a stress test. Even at 38 you have to be sure your heart and lungs are in shape to handle scuba diving.

I was surfer on the North Shore throughout my 20s and faced threats that were as big as semi trailers rolling in, no life vest nothing - some as high as 35-40 feet - just a slab of fiberglass to hold onto - never really made me panic because we could read the weak spots in the face and pick our way over them before they broke on us. My arms were strong and I felt in control. Today in my late 30s its different.

I got panicky in the middle of a calm lake after my buddy left me - BC inflated and all. Dont know why. go figure....

Not sure how old you, are but I feel we get whimpy as we age - with good reason. If I went out to the north shore I'd probably **** a brick.

A lot of responses, which I appreciate, unfortunately there's no consensus, and a some of you just seem to want to revel in my misfortune.

To recap.
I don't need to see a Psychiatrist (Really!)
I'm not out of shape for diving.
I don't need a stress test (I had a panic attack, not a heart attack)
I didn't get claustrophobia (It's a big ocean)
My equipment was all working just fine.
There was nothing about my situation that made me feel the least bit uneasy.

The actual symptoms were.
Feeling out of breath
The air from my tank seemed like inert gas, it didn't feel like I was getting oxygen from it.
I had an overwhelming need to get out of the water and never return.
I completely lost all sense and recollection of fear a couple of minutes after reaching the surface.
I have no residual fear whatsoever.
This occurred shortly after I had had to swim a short distance against a current.

So, from these symptoms, I'm inclined to believe I was either hyperventilating, or had too much CO2 in my system. Does anyone have any input in the direction of that diagnosis?

thanks-

Back
Top Bottom