Huge decision: Quitting our jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popeb

Reaction score
Hi,

After a number of years psyching ourselves up to it, my wife and I have decided to quit our jobs next year and become diving instructors. We're having difficulty getting straight answers to some of our key concerns from training centres who obviously want to make the world of diving sound as rosy as possible.

We both have pretty well paid (but dull) jobs in banking but desperately want to get out of the rainy UK, overcrowded undergrounds and high stress jobs. Any advice on the following questions would be much appreciated as this is one of the biggest decisions we've had to make:

How easy is it for couples to get a job together (we both have useful skills such as IT, customer service background, management experience etc.)?

Neither of us speak a second language - how much of an effect will this have on our ability to get work?

Can you actually live on an instructor salary (we're both getting too old to want to have to suplement salary by working in bars etc.)?

Anyone have experience of training with Pro Dive (USA)? How good is their job placement service?

Thanks to anyone who reply's.

popeb once bubbled...
Neither of us speak a second language - how much of an effect will this have on our ability to get work?

I recently qualified as an instructor.

I could leave almost immediately, even without specialties and close to no experience in teaching because I'm fluent in three languages, decently speak another two, can survive in a sixth and have very basic knowlegde of a seventh (yes, I do have a couple of propositions, but I'm not doing it yet, despite my job being pretty boring, albeit very well paid).

Yes, languages are essential if you want to start teaching anywhere else than your own country, and English being your only option I'm afraid the industry is a bit crowded :(

As much as I hate to admit it, a single language instructor is pretty limited in possible areas into which they can move and survive on the local economy. A live aboard may be an answer especially if you have boat time / captain's ticket /can cook / are a mechanic or something.

I am ashamed to have say that Chiara is right about the English market being over crowded, like I've heard tell: One that speaks three languages is a tri-lingual, two languages is a bi-lingual and one language is an English speaker...

Yes, instructors do get hired as couples. I've even seen a few position offerings that are specifically for couples. And on a few occasions, I've known of situations where the prospective employer with only one opening may find a job for the other spouse.

If you only speak English, then you need to look primarily in the Caribbean on the English speaking islands. Grand Cayman is perhaps the largest dive destination that fits all of those criteria.

ProDive is a good training center, albeit a bit expensive. Our shop has several ProDive graduates on staff. It does not matter where you complete instructor training. What does matter is all of the other skills that you can offer and the attitude that you take in the job.

Yes, you can live on an instructor's salary if you are not carrying a lot of debt. You won't make it financially if you are expecting to send large amounts back home to pay a mortgage or other loans.

Lot's of folks have made this move. Even more have failed miserably at it for all of the usual reasons - unrealistic expectations being highest on the list.

Just got off a week cruise on the Nekton Rorqual. 2 sets of the crew (out of 13 crem members) were couples...so I don't see it as a problem.

Single language skills? Half the world speaks English (for illustrative purposes for you nitpickers) so I don't see single language as a problem either. One of the crewman on the Rorqual spoke Chinese...sure didn't help anyone that week. We did have 4 Dutch, 1 Welsh, 1 Englishman, and a young girl born in Hong Kong (but a US citizen) and so I don't see that much need for a second language out of that group either. They all spoke decent if not perfect English.

Another option would be to start a business for yourselves. That way you wouldn't have to worry about finding jobs together, and you could focus on the type of instruction that most interests you.
There seems to be a growing number of instructors who work independently and don't run a strorefront dive shop. They build up clientelle by their website, advertising and word of mouth. This option may be worth looking at and could save you some cost considerations with trying to open and run a shop from the start. Then as things pick up you could consider that possibility in the future

job until you had the answers to all these questions.

And you really should already be an instructor looking for a position.

DeputyDan once bubbled...
job until you had the answers to all these questions.

And you really should already be an instructor looking for a position.

They said they were quitting next year...

Hey guys!
Im leaving the UK next year too... Although for me its not such a change.. i only graduated this year and will have been working in London just over a year when i leave... But all i can say to you two is GO FOR IT! Despite the negative points being made about your language skills, you are computer literate and both have customer (assuming sales) experience, which is as, if not more, important when looking for employment... If you are going to work for a Centre they want you to have a lot of skills... and anyway.. you have english..which as said before is very widely spoken, and if you fancied it, get spanish under your belt.. you then have the world more or less covered!!!
Goodluck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom