non-releasable pocket weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pazthru

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Black Diamond and other Auqualung models have non-releasable weight pockets on the back of the BC near the tank band.
Aqualung "strongly" recommends using block weights versus soft shot weights in the non-releaseable pockets.
Question: Curious..........Why would it matter?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Depending on how the weight pockets are designed, it might be possible for smaller "soft" weights (containing lead shot) to slip right out of a "secured" pocket.

On the Aqualung BCDs, the trim weight pockets are usually closed by a plastic fastex clip. I have known of a couple of divers who had small "soft" weights slip out the side or through a hole in the bottom. This can happen with 1 or 2 lb. soft weights. I've found that 3 lb. soft weights will stay in just fine. YMMV. Using larger hard weights virtually eliminates this possibility.

I wouldn't use long, cylindrical "bullet" weights in the trim pockets for the same reason. They could slip out.

Thanks ,Jim. The manual makes the statement specifically, so I thought there might be some obscure reason I was not aware of.

I will be using 3# sea pearl weights, one in each side for a total of 6#.

block weights are cheap enough. Better safe than sorry, perhaps.

Small soft weights can fall out of those pockets. Hard weights won't deform and therefore won't squeeze enough to fall through the holes.

My wife BC has similar pockets, and we've never had a problem providing we choose big enough soft weights. 4 pounder and above: fine. Two 2 pounders: not fine.

Back
Top Bottom