Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Flutter kick (or variation)

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ceberon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm curious what kicks most people would use when in the open water. So you're not in a cave, you're not against a silty bottom, you're a decent distance away from any obstacle. You're not in a hurry. Do you flutter or frog kick? (Or perhaps something else).

It's been my experience that anti-silting techniques like frog kicks work out in most every situation. I've followed plenty of divers who were 6+ feet off the bottom you still see the swirl of silt off the bottom every time they kick.

I've seen far too many places where the remote sections inside the wreck are far better off then the deck, because folks are careful inside, but then start to motor and silt the hell out of the deck.

Mostly frog kick, since it's extremely efficient.

However, it all depends on circumstances. Swimming close to a wall, frog kick may not be appropriate. Thru kelp, same thing. Good to have a number of kicks in your quiver (even....[shiver] backwards)

Chris

I feel strange when I use anything BUT the frog kick!

I use the modified flutter kick and mix some frog kicks in there at times cuz I like to stay in practice.

For me, I will use the frog kick. No reason other than I'm "...not in a hurry..." and I need the practice. It's a great kick and I think I get just as much propulsion (probably just my imagination though).

for me or some variation depending on where I'm at. Agree with Spectre's comment about people being 6 or more feet above the bottom and they are still stirring up silt with the flutter kick.

Frog or modified frog kick 100% of the time. I don't like the flutter kick, I never use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom