Hawaii Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevcott

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!!

I'm new to this board having stumbled acrossed it while surfing. What a great board this is!!

I'm planning a move to the Big Island in a couple of years and was wondering if there were any instructors currently employed full time there. If so, how is it and how does the cost of living factor in? My wife is an RN so we'll have dual incomes, but we're concerned about the housing costs. Like everyone else, we're sick of the rat race and are looking for a more laid back lifestyle. Any help will be well received.

Keep diving and Thanks!
Kevin
Houston, TX

Kevin-

While I don't live on the Big Island, the economy is much the same all over the state, no matter which island you live on.

I'm sure there are lots of instructors on the Big Island, probably most are affiliated with a shop.

I don't know much about instructor's income - but the cost of living is much higher than Houston (I used to live there). Everything is more expensive - $2.00 a gallon for regular gas, $5 gallon of milk.

Kailua-Kona is experiencing a "boom" of sorts - housing costs there are not dissimilar to Oahu. Hilo will be cheaper to live in than Kona because it is less of a "tourist town", but it is a bit of a drive - especially if you plan on doing a daily commute.

Of course, if your wife is a nurse, she should have little problem finding employment.

Thanks for your reply. We're kicking around the idea of starting a private charter excursion service for 2-4 divers on our 45' Carver.
I know all about the cost of living there, I'm trying to come up with new ideas for income. You have to be creative!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom