Vegetarian Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzie q

Reaction score
So how many divers out there are vegetarian? iv'e met a few that were self proclaimed, but oddly enough they still eat fish and crustaceans.

just curious i guess...and maybe a little hyper-aware since the release of several studies clearly condemning ocean harvesting.

how do folks feel about scarfing up those grouper sandwiches and yellowfin steaks, when one of your favorite things is to spend time down under with them?

I'll raise my hand high, yes not meat or sea food for the last 20 years. No plans to change that.

I hate it when I see Shark's Fin soup on the menu - that really sucks and in Chinese medicine shops you see dried sea horse. That sucks too.

But I'm not about stopping others from eating meet or sea food, but perfer to see them eating stuff that exists in abundance.

Most divers in Asia love to eat sea food it seems. After a trip to Manado it was the first thing they wanted when theyreturned to land even though they had eated fish and /or ckicken / meet every meal!

Vegetables, are what my food eats.:D

I like my vegies, but second hand, on the grill, with a nice peppercorn seasoning. It's my favourite way of eating vegies.

Ive been meat/poultry/seafood free for 6 years...and have avoided dairy and eggs for 2.

it just seems so bizarre to be a rec diver (or any diver) and also eat marine life!

to me it's like members of the audience at a Crufts dog show going out for delicious yorkshire terrier cutlets and grilled chihuahua fajitas afterwards.

that does remind me of the zoo in Syracuse, NY.

They have a lovely area where zoo patrons can have close encounters with cows and chickens, among other friendly animals.

Not 3 yards away there stands a Burger King kiosk serving up hot Bessie Burgers and Henny Penny fingers.

Straight-up macabre.

:blahblah:

MMmmmm. Meat! White meat, dark meat, fish, poultry, wild. I'll catch it on a line, I'll spear it from under the deep, I'll blast it from the sky, and I'll hunt it from my keep. I'll clean it cook it and serve it with a smile. (should have been a poet)

Don't *tell* me what I should or shouldn't eat. Every single vegetarian I have meet has acted in a quasi-religious self-righteous manner, proclaiming to be better, yet happy when their fellow vegetarians make claims of poisoning food and vandalizing buildings. I have only contempt left in my heart for PETA and the rest of the loonies who follow this line of thinking.

SuzieQ- Why would it seem bizarre that divers also eat undersea life? Although I have been vegetarian myself at times in my life, I have no objection to eating meat, fish or poultry. However, I don't like eating it from farms (ocean or land-based) where hormones, antibiotics and other chemicals are added.

In many ways it makes good sense to harvest from the sea, especially here on Catalina where things are relatively clean compared to industrialized areas. I haven't hunted underwater for 25+ years, but I think such food gathering is an experience everyone should have at some point in their lives... to learn where one's food comes from and, hopefully, learn reverence for the lives we take to sustain us. This may come through hunting, fushing or agriculture/gardening.

We are all part of "the mutual eating society" whether we eat flesh or veggies. It is as natural as life itself.

Dr. Bill

Omnivorous!

I enjoy my fruits and veggies, and I enjoy my steaks, lobsters, scallops, and chickens!

(I like to cook, so...):D

I'm a vegetarian and have been all my life :)
It's wrong to kill animals just so that you can enjoy their flesh, for many reasons that I can't be bothered to go into right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom