Pony bottle set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bossman

Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me your opinions on a 13 or 19 CF pony bottle set up. I noticed the Zeagle Razor integrated valve/first stage, and it looks like a good set up. I'm about to order new regs and was leaning towards a Scubapro MK17/A700. So for ease of servicing I'm a little hesitant to have a Zeagle pony set up and Scubapro Primary/Octo. I'd like to have a common brand so I can send everything out together. Another option is to order Zeagle regs to go along with the Zeagle pony set up.

Are there better options for a pony set up with an integrated valve/first stage (I don't want a yoke)? What do you guys use?

What kind of diving are you talking about? How deep? Where? Any tech aspiration down the road?

Too many variable to offer options...

Right now down to 120, mostly cold water wreck diving (down to high 40s degrees). Definitely tech aspirations in the future. I'd rather buy the right gear now (to the extent I can) than to be selling and upgrading in the future.

Right now down to 120, mostly cold water wreck diving (down to high 40s degrees). Definitely tech aspirations in the future. I'd rather buy the right gear now (to the extent I can) than to be selling and upgrading in the future.

Get a 40cf bottle and a sling kit. The cost of the bottle is not much more than a few bucks more than a 19cf bottle. You'll have more than sufficient bail-out gas now, and when the time comes you've got a dedicated deco bottle. Get a used reg now that will be capable today and as a dedicated deco reg later.

^^^^^^ What RJP said. ^^^^^^

Underwater, a slung pony pretty much vanishes. And price difference between a 19 and a larger pony is insignificant, especially when compared to how much more air a larger pony provides; and the larger pony can be used for more than just a "bailout bottle".

I use a 30 cu ft pony, just because I found it for a "steal"... I was looking for a 40, but couldn't pass up the deal on the 30....

Best wishes.

Last edited:
40 is the way to go!!

I have a 19cf pony with a tank mount. It is not good. Where did you get your sling or are they "home made"?

I rig mine like this:

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

And here is how it looks with a regulator on it, ready to dive:

http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/reg_config_stages.html

Simple, secure, and all the bits and pieces needed are cheap and can be found at a good hardware store.

You can also buy pre-made slings from various sources, but the one I linked to is really easy to make....

Best wishes.

I use a 19 cf bailout figuring that is the minimum safe amount that will get me back up to the surface from most “crap hit the fan” situations I am likely to experience for my style of diving. Having said that, if I was planning on the same kind of diving you seem to be (especially the mention of tech), then I would forgot the pony and go to doubles. That really is the superior redundancy setup even if it is a PIA to deal with topside. If you do decide to use a pony before you get double tanks, then 19 is really not any good for future tech diving as a deco or stage bottle. I never plan to deliberately go into deco and I use a large primary tank, so I am happy with 19 as my back-up. Still, if I was planning on doing deco dives I would go with a 40 -80 cf.

On second read, you seem to be asking more about Regs than pony sizes... well I don't know that having the same brand is that big a deal.. it depends on what service is available near you. I will say that the regs on my pony are a bit larger and heavier than I would like so I guess that is a (fairly minor) consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom