Practice Skills Knees or Standing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver5

Reaction score
I am working on being comfortable diving so lots of work in the pool. I find I get tension headaches on my knees clearing mask etc. but ok standing up. Any reason why I can't just stand up one more open water to do. Thanks for input.

Try doing the while neutrally bouyant and in a horizontal or feet up position. You are introduced to the skills on your knees but you need to learn to do them while actually diving. It's VERY good that you are practicing. Keep it up and good luck!

diver5 once bubbled...
I am working on being comfortable diving so lots of work in the pool. I find I get tension headaches on my knees clearing mask etc. but ok standing up. Any reason why I can't just stand up one more open water to do. Thanks for input.

Horizontal while hovering or swimming is the way to practice this skill.

Walter once bubbled...
Horizontal while hovering or swimming is the way to practice this skill.

first you learn to juggle two balls, then three and then four, very few manage to start with four balls

Problem is that many never progress beyond juggling two balls, then find themselves over an 8000 wall. Ops.

"first you learn to juggle two balls, then three and then four, very few manage to start with four balls"

I believe I'd start with one.

Walter once bubbled...
"first you learn to juggle two balls, then three and then four, very few manage to start with four balls"

I believe I'd start with one.

point well taken...

devilfish once bubbled...
"
Problem is that many never progress beyond juggling two balls, then find themselves over an 8000 wall. Ops.

true, what's the answer?

James Goddard once bubbled...

Teach proper bouyancy in OW.

but I do teach proper buoyancy, the question is "Is that ball one or two or ???"

Mask clearing is 1 ball, the 2nd ball. I teach it long before I introduce SCUBA. Right after the 300 yd swim/15 minute float/tread, I teach them the snorkel (1st ball). Then we put the snorkel down and pick up the mask (2nd ball) and learn to clear a mask. When I introduce SCUBA, I teach buoyancy very early, once they have pretty good buoyancy, I add the mask clearing (which they have already mastered) while swimming. That gives them two balls to juggle at once, but they are, at this point, ready for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom