Water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Diving N.C./Atlantic/Morehead City/Cape Lookout Shoals -

Always have been extra warm, use less suit than others.

I understand the water temps may be 75 deg. at bottom. I intend to use a Henderson nylon diveskin rather than a wet suit.

Anyone have opinions/advice for this topic? Any help/posts are greatly appreciated!

That is 3 to 5mm water temp. Even if you are not uncomfortably cold, it with probably increase your breathing rate and shorten your dive.

75 air temp is does not have the same effect on the body as 75 water temp. Suit up with 3 mil and you should be pretty comfortable. Skins are meant for abrasion protection, not thermal protection.

Even if you feel that you can deal with being too cool, it's not helping you off gas efficiently. I'd be in 5mm or dry on that dive.

Swimming pools are usually kept at about 80 or 81 degrees. I wouldn't think that 75 would be such a problem.

I dove there in September in a 3/2 and was slightly chilly but mostly okay. And I need to be warmer than most people. I'd think a 3/2 would be fine for most normal people though I can't wrap my head around someone doing it in a dive skin.

(The only reason I don't wear my 7-mil everywhere is because it's hard to pack :) )

Last edited:
I dive there every year and wear a 7mm. I can stay down pretty long and the extra protection keeps me warm. I couldn't use a diveskin. Have fun it is a great place to dive. I'm hooked

Swimming pools are usually kept at about 80 or 81 degrees. I wouldn't think that 75 would be such a problem.

Keep in mind that in a swimming pool one is generally 20%-40 % "out of the water" and being directly warmed by the sun. Which allows one to stay a bit warmer. At 30-40 feet the sun mon't help much and the head and chest are submerged leading to aggressive heat loss. I would definitely wear a 3mm. Did a dive in Mexico last spring with 78 degree water and the one guy in a skin suit was seriously shivering...better safe than sorry..

At that temp I'm in a 5m. It's easier to get cool (scoop water in through the neck) than it is to get warm.

I wear a skin here in the tropics sometimes, but water temperatures are usually above 80º. At 75º I would want at least 3mm, maybe 5mm.

Back
Top Bottom