Best 'Lesser Known' dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventurehelper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks,

I am in the middle of writing an article on the best 'lesser known' dive spots in the world. We all know about the Blue hole and the Thistlegorm etc, but I want some really cool hidden gems, including cave dives if possible, for all abilities.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Derek.

Hi Folks,

I am in the middle of writing an article on the best 'lesser known' dive spots in the world. We all know about the Blue hole and the Thistlegorm etc, but I want some really cool hidden gems, including cave dives if possible, for all abilities.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Derek.

NJ Wrecks, baby. NJ wrecks!

(HINT: There's a reason why the ocean off NJ is referred to as "Wreck Valley")

chart_nj-5_deep_sea.png

chart_ny-1_west.png

chart_nj-1_sandy_hook.png

chart_nj-2_manasquan.png

chart_nj-3_barnegat.png

chart_nj-4_cape_may.png

Niihau Island fits the criteria for your article as does the USC preserve, Catalina Island.

Saltstraumen in northern Norway! Beeing the worlds strongest maelstrom it has the most oxygen-rich water on the planet, witch means an insane amount of spiecies. Worlds top cold water dive if you ask me.

Saltstraumen in northern Norway! Beeing the worlds strongest maelstrom it has the most oxygen-rich water on the planet, witch means an insane amount of spiecies. Worlds top cold water dive if you ask me.

Wow, 20+ kt tidal currents...guess you have to be pretty certain about tide times?

Hi Folks,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Derek.

Depends on what you're looking for.

For cold water, Vancouver Island has to offer some of the best I've come across ... particularly in the north ... Port Hardy/Browning Pass, Campbell River/Quadra Island, and Nootka Sounda are all world-class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Blue Lake S. of Wendover NV, just across the border in Utah. This is a geothermal hot springs so we can dive all winter. The lake is actually two springs with a ridge between. The Salt Lake stores know it and bring their classes to it. But they stay in the closer part of the lake. There are man-made structures in the lake and training platforms on two levels.

To locate it, get on any map program and look at the satelite view. There is a patch of green just into Utah at the edge of the Great Salt Lake. The lake with the dock visible is Blue Lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom