Analyzer: Nitrox vs. CO

Oxygen % Analyzer or Carbon Monoxide Analyzer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not being able to get everything I want now, I have to choose which things are more important and get them in order. Analyzers are more expensive than bolt snaps; I can't just plunk down $150 - $300 any time I feel like it.

For either one of these, getting it wrong can be fatal, and it's a bit surprising that the analyzers aren't more common. I've been breathing compressed gas for a long time, sometimes in out-of-the-way places, and never have I checked for excessive CO. I've been using Nitrox for a much shorter time, but I'm getting the impression that actually knowing (I mean knowing how old the sensor in the instrument is, witnessing the calibration, and witnessing the analysis) your O2% is not as common as people let on.

So, if you were going to buy one instrument, which would it be, an oxygen analyzer for Nitrox diving, or a carbon monoxide analyzer for all diving?

This poll presumes you are Nitrox certified, and use Nitrox. If you are not, please respond as if you are.

I'd recommend saving your money for external strobes for UW photography. :D
Do both of you guys already have drysuits you're happy with? What about p-valves, pockets, and drygloves?

The O2 analyzer would be nice but definitely not necessary for you guys at this point.
I think a CO analyzer would be great, but I'm waiting until the devices come down in price.
In the meantime, just get fills from an LDS that you trust and has a good track record of not killing off its customers with CO-laden fills.
If you get nitrox fills at home, use the shop's analyzer.
If you get nitrox fills while on vacation, use the analyzer at the shop or on the boat.

I'd save money for most anything else also. I rate buying a CO analyzer about equal with getting insurance against being struck by lightning.

I've rarely been anyplace that supplied Nitrox and didn't have an O2 analyzer to use. Yeah occasionally you will run into one with an O2 sensor a bit past it's prime but it's rare it's a big problem.

I have yet to see anyplace with a CO detector. I may get one at some point. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if some ops start making one available as a service as they become cheaper and easier to use, but I'm not expecting them to be as universal as O2 analyzers since there's currently nothing saying they "have" to have one.

Can't you be your own CO detector? I mean, CO doesn't exactly occur in abundant quantities in nature. Just have a look around at the compressor system in use, on a boat is the air intake anywhere near the exhaust for the boat, the compressor itself, propane fired stoves etc? At your LDS are they sucking the air in at street level? Is there an idle car parked infront of the air intake? :idk:

I'd recommend saving your money for external strobes for UW photography. :D
Do both of you guys already have drysuits you're happy with? What about p-valves, pockets, and drygloves?

The O2 analyzer would be nice but definitely not necessary for you guys at this point.
I think a CO analyzer would be great, but I'm waiting until the devices come down in price.
In the meantime, just get fills from an LDS that you trust and has a good track record of not killing off its customers with CO-laden fills.
If you get nitrox fills at home, use the shop's analyzer.
If you get nitrox fills while on vacation, use the analyzer at the shop or on the boat.

My second hand dry suit is slowly turning into a colander and I still need a main dive light!:shakehead:

I don't see myself buying a CO analyzer anytime soon!

Can't you be your own CO detector? I mean, CO doesn't exactly occur in abundant quantities in nature. Just have a look around at the compressor system in use, on a boat is the air intake anywhere near the exhaust for the boat, the compressor itself, propane fired stoves etc? At your LDS are they sucking the air in at street level? Is there an idle car parked infront of the air intake? :idk:

Those are the visible causes.

The non-visible is the compressor oil breakdown due to overheating.

I voted CO detector.
In all cases where I was able to rent nitrox tanks, the dive boat provided the O2 analyzer.

Don't get either. The nitrox analyzer will be available where nitrox is provided (the vendor should not give you the gas without you analyzing it first). The only exceptions I can think of are a) the analyzer provided is not trustworthy (but then, would you trust the gas?) or (b) there are too many nitrox users per analyzer, impeding convenience. As for CO problems, they are probably as rare as being bitten by a shark which is as rare as being eaten by wild pigs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom