Best fins for a weak ankle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I empathise, split fins will definitely make your life easier. Cannot comment on the Mares, but the [expensive] Atomics work very well in reducing the stress.

Last edited:
Softer compound split fins like your Apollos or Oceanic V12s would be good choices. Or I hear the new Scubapro Seawing Novas are good for that too. I haven't had the opportunity to test them myself. Force Fins... Depends on your technique. I've heard people say they were easy on the ankles and I've also heard the opposite too.

You might try a frog kick in a slow pattern. That may help you. I also use 'fin keepers' on my Mares Plana's. I kick fast and move fast, but in your case, you may just be able to fin slowly with the fin keepers attached to your ankles. I'm sorry I don't have a link or reference picture to show you, but I just bought a few pairs from Leisure Pro, and they work well.

Also, +1 for the ScubaPro Nova's. I have a pair for my drysuit, and they fin quite nicely and well. They are a bit expensive, so if you can try a friend's pair for a dive or two, that may help. Make sure they fit your booties well.

I'd have to say Force Fins too. I don't have any weak joints, however I have bad knees, and bad hips, nine years of the Marine Corps wasn't kind to my joints lol. Force Fins allow me to dive without having any issues with pain or cramping.

Probably depends on your individual physiology. Force Fins with their large open toes eliminate a lot of stress and work well for most who are looking to reduce pain or risk of re-injury. Good splits seem a viable second choice.

I'll tell this again. Sorry for those who have heard this....
I shattered my left ankle 3 years ago. After surgery and recovery, I still have bone fragments floating and my anterior ligament detatched. I dive Force Fins. They are the only ones that have worked. I feel no pain, no stiffening, and no soreness later.
I also can dive any condition. Give them a try

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom