PADI Divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Col.Maniac

Reaction score
Hi, just want to know if anyone has done the divemaster course? I am thinking about doing it, I have seen whats involved, some of it is easy enough but the "mental" part of it is going to be much harder ;-0 .

Any one found doing the course easy or hard?
thanks tony

why do you want to do the course?
if your goal is to improve your own diving i'd say dont waste your time. if your goal is to interact with & helping out student divers i'd say go for it.

personally i did not really get anything out of the DM and AI course. it is fairly easy and only fun for a short while.

just my experience from doing the courses

You have to be totally commited and dedicated to diving .DM puts you into the same league as an instructor.

You will have to maintain yearly insurance and membership dues.These do not come cheap.

The course can run seemingly forever. Every year we have students sign up for DM.Most drop out because they cannot do the following.

Swim and stamina tests. Dive physics,dive planning.Cannot meet the required level of demonstration skills.This can be a very humbling course.BUT.....if you make it ,you will have the greatist feeling of accomplishment.

If you get a kick out of looking after students and assisting with classes by all means go for it.I knew from the beginning that I wanted to teach scuba and came prepaired for DM and started planning and getting into shape 9 full months before I started.

Ron

Why do I want to do the couse? probably the main reason is im going to learn much more than what I do already and to make my diving much safer, I am a safe diver anyway but its just going to re-inforce it. Also I like helping out any way, and to interact with & helping out student divers will defently give me the buzz :)

Col.Maniac once bubbled...
Why do I want to do the couse? probably the main reason is im going to learn much more than what I do already...
If this is your major goal, take a DIRF course, not the DM course. Search on DIRF and DIR-F in this notes file and you'll get an eyefull...

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

If this is your major goal, take a DIRF course, not the DM course. Search on DIRF and DIR-F in this notes file and you'll get an eyefull...

Roak

if i compare what i 'learned' in the DM & AI class as opposed to what i learned in DIR-F, well, what can i say.

just didnt want to be the first one to bring up DIR :wacko: :D

Col.Maniac once bubbled...
Why do I want to do the couse? probably the main reason is im going to learn much more than what I do already and to make my diving much safer, I am a safe diver anyway but its just going to re-inforce it. Also I like helping out any way, and to interact with & helping out student divers will defently give me the buzz :)

Do not waste your time and money on becomming a DM if those are the reasions.Stop at rescue diver and if you can do the DIR-F thing.

Hell,then go take cave and go back to the lake with fantastic skills.

Wanna teach?Then become a DM

Ron

sheck33 once bubbled...

if i compare what i 'learned' in the DM & AI class as opposed to what i learned in DIR-F, well, what can i say.

LOL .... man your instructor must have really done a number on you in your DM and AI course.:)

Trying to compare DIR-F and DM or AI is like trying to compare a Corvette and a John Deere lawn tractor .... you can't since they were made to perform totally different tasks. Well, i guess they both have four tires and a steering wheel.:wink:

Col.,
I do agree with these guys though, if your primarily looking to enhance your in-water skills, do the DIR-F. However don't let the boo-birds tell you DM is a worthless course. It is chock full of great and useful information about diving in general. And as Ron says, in particular about teaching and guiding divers, it is very useful.

DM improves your out of water skills -- helping divers, teaching divers, herding cats, I mean divers and rescuing divers.

DIRF teaches you how to actually dive better.

Do NOT expect a DM class to address your actual diving skills.

Roak

Sounds like you're in it for the right reasons.
I'm almost through the entire PADI DM cirriculum now. Should be taking the written exam in the next couple weeks.
My dive team boss wants a couple of us to eventually be instructors so as long as its on the county's tab...why the heck not.

Good luck with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom