Headache after diving?? WTF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKeith001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
Noobie question but might be a good one.

This has been going on for the last 5 dives but last saturday I was down 45 feet for 38 minutes and when I came back up the rest of the day I had a slight headache. Not a painful one just a lingering one. I dont get it....WTF. I dont shoot to the surface or do anything stupid either. I actually do a 3min/15ft safety stop on most if not all my dives....(overly safe I guess).

I have talked to a couple of dive shops and they have given me some pointers but I would like to address this here with everyone else and see what you guys have to say?? :popcorn:

Thanks!!!!

Are you drinking plenty of water and staying well hydrated before the dive?

It could also be tight neck muscles if you have bad posture during diving or you're straining them too hard pulling your head back. That can give you a headache.

I am a noob so don't quote me but...
I was having headache problems as well on my fist couple dozen dives and then I came to a realization-I was not exhaling thoroughly. Once I worked on regulating my breathing pattern, my headaches were gone.
Get Wet!

Hi all,
Noobie question but might be a good one.

This has been going on for the last 5 dives but last saturday I was down 45 feet for 38 minutes and when I came back up the rest of the day I had a slight headache. Not a painful one just a lingering one. I dont get it....WTF. I dont shoot to the surface or do anything stupid either. I actually do a 3min/15ft safety stop on most if not all my dives....(overly safe I guess).

I have talked to a couple of dive shops and they have given me some pointers but I would like to address this here with everyone else and see what you guys have to say?? :popcorn:

Thanks!!!!
Are you skip breathing? What kind of air consumption do you have? Same place for air fills each time? Any neck or back pain?
If all air fills from the same place might want to get a CO tester and check your gas.

Probably dehydration. People just either don't understand or neglect to understand how dehydrating diving is, especially in salt water.

If it were CO2 retention then the headache would have been very sharp but not lingering.

One of the biggest problems I had as a beginner (and still do sometimes) is chewing/clamped down hard on the reg mouthpiece. Never fails to give me a headache.

One of the biggest problems I had as a beginner (and still do sometimes) is chewing/clamped down hard on the reg mouthpiece. Never fails to give me a headache.

Not to mention jaw ache. Forgot about that too.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

#1- I have had some jaw problems but after replacing my mouthpiece that has gone away.

#2- The tanks always get filled from the same place. I will look into buying a C02 gauge.

#3- I will try and drink more water before my diving. Maybe its not enough?

#4- Feels like I breath ok but will try and breath even deaper and exhaul more.

#5- No head or back pain after diving at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom