Beginner Scuba diver - where to take a class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucioles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in November and I figured I might as well get a diving certification to enjoy the reef as much as possible.
So, now I'm looking at taking a PADI class to get certified. What type of teacher would you guys recommend? A Scuba diving store? A YMCA? Something else?
Of course, I am restricted in time to get class/pool and the OW dives in before it gets to cold to dives OW here (Chicago, IL). So I'm trying to get that done by the end of September.
Any places to recommend in the Western/ NothrWestern suburbs of Chicago, IL? Or maybe a nationwide company?
I have shopped around a bit, and the cheaper/in the area/fit my schedule seem to be www.underseas.com in Villa Park and www.iidscuba.com in Glenn Ellyn.

Also, do you recommend renting snorkel, mask and fins if I'm not going to travel with them to Asutralia and probably most places I will dive. Where can I rent those?

Thanks!

Sorry I can't help you with classes in your area, I'll leave to someone else, but I can tell you that I thikn you should buy your own mask, fin, and snorkel. They don't take up much space, so why wouldn't you travel with it? Besides its gear you will always need,the other stuff you can rent when you travel.

I recommend you visit both the dive shops you mention and talk to the staffs about their basic training program. Pick the one that makes you feel the most comfortable and sign up. You may want to do the classroom and pool sessions there and the open water dives at you travel destination. Talk this over with the shops. This is called a "referral." But if you can get the whole thing done before you go you'll be better off. Most shops will want you to own your own mask, snorkel, and fins, but this varies. Certainly invest in your own well-fitting mask as a minimum. Good luck and have fun.

well... I don't know about Chicago ... but if you want to come up to southern Ontario I could give you some tips on where to go!

I got certified a year and a half ago .. my mask fins and snorkel were the first things I bought .. and I absolutly love them ... I would definitly recommend buying rather then renting... plus they are pretty personal things, in my opinion! I was more comfortable under water with them ... sounds silly I know! But it's true!!

I would suggest you do all of the course and if not just the OW dives in Australia and avoid having to dive in some quarry or lake and get cold!!

Other advantages to this are:

1) Usually on your first open water dives you will get guided tours of the beautiful reefs inbetween doing skills. A lot more fun than going to your local bit of open water and putting up with being cold and not seeing much in the way of life.

2) Why not make your very first dives some of your best?

3) Good way to meet people out there, by taking a class.

4) It wont take up too much of your time and while you are learning over there you can take your time to suss everything else out. So that once you're certified you already know who are going to go do more diving with and where you want to go.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable answers. I get the drift. I need to get my own snorkle, mask and fins. But, now what to buy? I'm I'll love diving, but I don't think I'll dive enough to justify buying really expensive to high-moderate equipment. I'm also thinking, what if I don't like it enough to motivate myself to go regularly? So, is the entry level equipment going to be ok or is it just junk? What should I expect to pay for reasonable equipment?

I'm also wondering how do I know it fits?

Is it safe to buy online or too risky because of sizing?

Thanks again!

Hi,
Chances are that the dive shop you decide to take classes from will offer you a discount on your basic gear. The person at the shop will help you get sized for anything you need.

Definately do not buy stuff online as sizing is very important. Being uncomfortable is a terrible thing for any diver, especially a new one and having a mask that floods all of the time or a pair of fins that are too small/large can mean the difference of finishing the class or not...AS far as snorkle goes., I always tell my students to go with the cheapest one we carry unless they plan on actually going snorkeling a lot and then the semi-dry or dry ones are OK.

I'll give you some advice here, though...Dont go in and sign up for a class and buy your stuff at the first shop you go into. Take your time and go to all of the shops in your area and talk to someone at each store. You'll get a much better feel for how the store operates once you see a few of them. Dive shops are notorious for hard sales so be strong!

Best regards,
Wet

If you do a search you should be able to find a list of questions that I and others think you should ask an instructor.

Unfortunalely there can be a big difference between getting a certification card and getting an education.

If going to Oz - check out the TUSA (Australian make) masks. That's what they are famous for ;-) My husband and I have different ones both by TUSA and they are lovely! Really comfy.

Be sure to keep your mask away from any roaches! They like to eat the silicone skirt around the mask! (and on your snorkle too!)

'Mares' make good fins, though a little pricey. I used to own a pair but they got screwed up because I left them in the sun too long - so be warned - the foot socket can warp in the sun - leave them in a cool place!!

I now have a pair of 'Oceanic' Vortex fins which are split down the middle and are great for warm water diving and snorkelling. Cheap too! So if if you see a pair that fit you... go for it!

You shouldn't have to spend more than $150 U.S on a good set of mask and fins for your future diving and snorkelling needs.

There is no harm in looking online through the pictures of masks and fins so you can get some idea of prices and styles - then you can go try them on in the shop - another thing to save you walking around too much - is to make a list of some styles you are interested in trying on and then call up the shops and ask if they have them in stock... and get them to list what they have.

so take a look at the mares and tusa websites - and think about what you might like. ;-) Some stuff will be cheaper to buy in the US, some stuff in Oz - depending on the make. If your local dive shop doesn't stock much - wait till you go away.

Don't get a cheap mask (they will make you cry!!)- if you look after a good one - it will last for years and trust me! You'll love diving (or just sonrkelling)-so you'll make good use out of your mask and fins and it's worth having a pair of good fins that are comfortable rather than crappy cheap ones that give you blisters, same with having a good mask - I'd pay for a good one even if it disintergrated after one dive. - a cheap mask can ruin your entire dive!

If you think you may want to do cold water diving in the near future though - you'll have to buy heel strap fins and a pair of booties.... so think about that. More money though!

Make sure you talk to lots of people in the shop and get their advice - usually they are divers and know a lot! Although be cafreful of people trying to sell you 100 dollar fins and a 200 dollar mask!!

Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!

Great info! Thanks!

I've been looking around a bit and found that they are two type of fins as far as how it fits your feet. Some with straps, some that just fit the right size of your feet. What is best? From what I got from the last message, straps are used with booties and in cold water. The fit your feet ones are used without booties and in warm water. Did I get it right?

Also, there seem to be fins with split and without. What's best?

As for the masks, purge or no purge?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom