TDI vs. PADI for Nitrox certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattengstrom

Reaction score
I'm going to try to get a Nitrox certification this winter, and I've got options for both PADI and TDI from the two LDSs that I keep in business. :wink: What, if any, are the differences between them? Price is about the same...

TDI is no dives required, you learn about the PO2 levels and toxicity, how to calculate MOD and NDL limits, etc. My LDS teaches it because NAUI requires 2 ow dives on EANx as part of the course but your already a diver there is no ow skill involved. You're breathing a different mix but the things you need to know should be applied long before you reach the water anyway. I thought the TDI class was adequate, I don't know the bar from another view though.

as long as you learn ppO2 and MOD ( EAD is nice too), you don't NEED any more.
it can be reasonably believed you know how to breath - and you SHOULD be able to read your depth gauge by now!

a nitrox course is the biggest ripoff the scuba industry has come up with yet!

I found the content to be about the same.

One thing to consider is that, it is my understanding that TDI does not recognized PADI's Nitrox course. So if you intend to progress to TDI's Advanced Nitrox (and beyond) you really should consider the TDI Nitrox.

mattengstrom once bubbled...
I'm going to try to get a Nitrox certification this winter, and I've got options for both PADI and TDI from the two LDSs that I keep in business. :wink: What, if any, are the differences between them? Price is about the same...

My instructor taught us to a level that satisfied both agencies and when we were done with the classroom work, asked us which certification we wanted.

I was going diving anyway, so I picked PADI. If I hadn't been going diving, I would have chosen TDI.

TDI has a nifty Equivalent Air Depth table in their Advanced Nitrox manual. I don't remember if it is in their Nitrox manual. Ask if you can sneak a peek at it.

TDI books etc are inexpensive and tell you what you need to know for Nitrox - if you have a good grip on the basic scuba stuff TDI will be great - if your scuba physics is a little rusty - check with the dive shop how much of a reveiw they do

Not sure about the PADI class

as for the comment that NAUI requires dives ... they don`t anymore !

I forgot to mention that, if NAUI no longer requires the dives then I'd imagine they are quite comparable. If you're interested in staying PADI I'd ensure that they recognize the TDI course (vice versa on what Diving Gal said)

James connell once bubbled...
as long as you learn ppO2 and MOD ( EAD is nice too), you don't NEED any more.
it can be reasonably believed you know how to breath - and you SHOULD be able to read your depth gauge by now!

a nitrox course is the biggest ripoff the scuba industry has come up with yet!

while i agree there are a bunch of courses out there that are useless, nitrox IMHO is not one of them. (depending to an extent on agency & instructor as to how much you actually learn) higher O2 percentages are lethal if used improperly.

DivingGal once bubbled...
I found the content to be about the same.

One thing to consider is that, it is my understanding that TDI does not recognized PADI's Nitrox course.

DivingGal,

It's my understanding that TDI does recognize PADI's Nitrox course. If you intend to take TDI Advanced Nitrox in this area, you need either TDI / PADI nitrox first... and deep diver specialty as well I believe.

sealkie once bubbled...
as for the comment that NAUI requires dives ... they don`t anymore !

I've double checked that I'm not missing an S&P update, I'd be interested to know where you're getting this info, pm me or something would ya, please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom