Eat mo' Lionfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the concept has been around for quite a while, but truthfully I didn't expect to see the idea catch on quite like this. I received this PSA this morning through the Flower Garden Banks NMS newsletter. I thought it funny on several levels and worth sharing. The clip is available through Death to Lionfish

They are Pisce non grata around these parts. I saw 7 on my last dives off the Castor and Sea Gate.

pre-skillet

718320195_aNbVj-M.jpg

Is there even enough meat on those things to warrant eating?
The larger ones make a good size portion. In Lake Worth ( near Island of Palm Beach) there is a VERY high end Italian restaurant called Paridiso, who has prepared these Livornese style, and they taste so good regulars to this restuarant would be happy spending $30 or more for the dish.

If more high end restaurants pick up on this, there could be a pretty strong inducement to get divers active in taking lionfish....

This could also be an opportunity for certain SoCal divers.....you could invent your own LionFish BC....:wink:
Benefits:
  • spines/quills of BC slow uncontrolled ascents making diver safer
  • sharks are unlikely to eat you with this BC on
  • OOA divers would be unlikely to attempt to grab a reg from your mouth
  • video showing how fast a lionfish can move when it wants to--indicating the BC user might have speed bursts if needed :)

Regards,
DanV

How do you get them off your spear and fillet them without getting poked by their spikes? Do you use a sword to fillet them? :D

How do you get them off your spear and fillet them without getting poked by their spikes? Do you use a sword to fillet them? :D

A pole spear is one good tool..they are long, so you shoot, then carry up to the boat....then use garden shears or other very long scissor blades to cut off all spines...when the spines are gone, so is the threat.

I'd still wear good gloves though:D
DanV

What do you do with the cut off spines? Dump them overboard? Would sinking spines be a danger to surfacing divers?

I only ask because I have no idea what to do with something dangerous like this.

What do you do with the cut off spines? Dump them overboard? Would sinking spines be a danger to surfacing divers?

I only ask because I have no idea what to do with something dangerous like this.

I'd say you'd be 100 times more likely to be sung by a jellyfish part churned up by a boat motor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom