dive boat protocols single diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAH

Reaction score
When on a dive boat and there is a single diver needing a buddy, what questions do you ask? I usually dive with my buddy but there have been a few times when a single diver joined our group.

I ask a few questions to find out the diver's abilities. Such as, if they dive this area, how long they have been diving, and what depths they are comfortable diving. I think there are some others I should ask. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would ask when the last time they dived was, he may be a little rusty if its been awhile. I think that matters, what good is it if he has been cert for 20 years, but his last dive was 15 years ago, you know.

I would watch him set up his gear. Does he have problems, does it look like a train wreck once done. Make sure you go over each others gear, so you are familair, go over the dive plan with them, go over hand singles, and what you will do if they are OOA. I actually do this with all my new buddies.

Wendy once bubbled...
I would ask when the last time they dived was, he may be a little rusty if its been awhile. I think that matters, what good is it if he has been cert for 20 years, but his last dive was 15 years ago, you know.

I would watch him set up his gear. Does he have problems, does it look like a train wreck once done. Make sure you go over each others gear, so you are familair, go over the dive plan with them, go over hand singles, and what you will do if they are OOA. I actually do this with all my new buddies.

Yep...where have they been recently?

And watch them set up their gear...

Wendy covered it all as far as I'm concerned...I do exactly that, including the signals, anything you and your normal buddy do that might not be taught in class, etc. (for example, I do OOA drills once every few dives with my regular buddy, and we have a signal for "its a drill, but be quick about it anyway".)

So if they are a train wreck setting up their gear then what? You are on a dive boat. Defer to the Divemaster?

Apart from the cursory and obligatory "experience" questions offered here and generally asked (how many dives, last dive, etc.) I think the behavioral (sp?) questions are more important.

Case in point: Once, I hooked up with someone who, when asked these most basic questions, came up stellar: Dives a lot, dove recently, dives in my neck of the woods (read: not a lot of recent resort diving...) so I thought it was going to be cool.

After a couple of dives, this guy fell into the "hunter / gatherer" camp. I've done this so many times, I've basically got it down to four types:

1) Touring (I'm this type) - get wet, have a look around, get out.

2) Hunter / Gatherer - lobster and spear fishing are number one, good buddy skills are, well, not number one.

3) Photographer - stopping and shooting, with maybe a little diving mixed in.

4) Newbie.

Number 2 is the scariest one for me. In So Cal, these weekend warriors are everywhere, disguised as divers. They talk the game, but once in the water, its every man for himself. It scares the heck out of me. The classic S.O.B. To be avoided at all costs.

You gotta get into the dive objective questions. Are they AOW, are they in a DM program (fast-tracking dives is a hint here...) etc. Do they know how to use their compass? Have they ever missed the dive boat (we all have) and come up someplace else...what'd they do? What's they're typical dive planning process...dive 'til the gas is gone, then come up? I always ask if they are hunters, are the on the trip to hunt, when was the last time they did a buddy drill, have they ever been in an actual OOA, etc.

I NEED this person to stick by me, as I'll stick by them...I want to be paired with a cool head, and if we're not on the same page its time to get someone else. I've been paired up at dinner, and over dessert I've approached the DM asking for someone else. Its your life - you gotta be comfortable with the person.

I have an equipment config that's different from most of the people I dive with (BP/W, Long Hose, etc.) and a supply of safety gear / back up gear (B/U mask, HID light, etc.) so as I go through my gear, where its stowed, how I donate the primary, etc. its an excellent time to get into the behavioral questions.

Its as important for me to know the person as it is to know their diving resume.

Take this stuff very seriously. Its important.

K

Aside from determining the history, purpose, hand signals, etc. you should also go over emergency skills including a lost buddy proceedure. How does this unknown buddy do air sharing? What will we do if we get separated? Etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They are all very good tips. I'll add them to my pre dive planning.

Wendy once bubbled...

Even after all of that, once we hit bottom the guy took off at about a hundred miles per hour as if in a race for something only he knew. I followed slowly behind him as he disappeared into the distance, hoping he would discover I was gone and turn around to find me. Nope.
After a few miniutes I surfaced to wait for him as we had agreed we would do if seperated. Nope.
I went back down and finished my dive. When I finished my dive he was already back on the beach, equiptment packed up and enjoying a cold drink. He asked, "What happened to you?" I told him.
"Next time," he said, "try to keep up."
"Oh, I don't think you'll have to worry about THAT..."

Thanks Mo2vation for the post. I will copy your "four types" and use that in the future. I know (and have dove with) divers of all four types (and further subtypes).

All of the suggestions mentioned in replies have been very good, and I thank you all for good suggestions.

In California a number of people that I have talked to worry more about the liabilities present in agreeing to "buddy" with someone. I hate to worry to that level, but you need to consider it. It is one thing for a poor diver to ruin a dive, but you don't need them ruining your life.

I find that watching how people store, prep and set up their gear will indicate a lot about them. One thing that is a minor red flag to me is if I see that someone is watching how others are setting up their gear. If they are watching others because they don't know how to set up theirs, then that scares me away. Unfortunately, they may only be watching to assess others just like I am!

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom