Watermanship & Stamina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekk Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here's the question...:

Do any of you happen to know what sort of watermanship & stamina skills must be passed when certifying for Divemaster or Instructor for PADI?? Perhaps, 200 yd. surface swims, 10 minute water tread...?? What else?

Any enlightenment?

For PADI DM:
  1. 800 yard/meter Swim (with mask, snorkle, and fins)
  2. 400 yard/meter Swim
  3. 100 yard/meter Tired Diver Tow
  4. 15 minute Tread Water (last 2 mintues with hands out of the water)
    [/list=1]
    The first 3 are timed and scored according to time taken.

Are they all on the same day? different day?

Does it matter?

--Sean

Tekk Diver once bubbled...
Here's the question...:

Do any of you happen to know what sort of watermanship & stamina skills must be passed when certifying for Divemaster or Instructor for PADI?? Perhaps, 200 yd. surface swims, 10 minute water tread...?? What else?

Any enlightenment?

NAUI Requirements (off the top of my head I don't have the S&P's in front of me.) From what I've seen most agencies require basically the same things.

880 yard swim in under 18 minutes (with mask, fins, snorkel and bc)
440 yard in under 10 minutes
100 yard diver assist
50 yard swimming assist
20 minute tread water

SCUBA Skills:

Doff and don of equipment with 25 yard swim (remove scuba unit/mask/fins underwater, swim 25 feet, surface, swim back and replace the unit)

Snorkel doff and don: Surface dive, remove snorkeling gear on bottom, surface then make another surface dive and replace the equipment. Snorkel and mask must be clear by the time you reach the surface

Bailout-jump in holding your scuba unit/mask/fins in hand and don rig while on the bottom

Gear exchange: 2 divers one gear set. One diver must pass of his full set of equipment (scuba unit/mask/fins) to a diver not wearing scuba equipment.

Maskless buddy breathing plus swim

That's all I can remember off the top of my head from mine. I have yet to train any leadership position divers so I am not completely up on the standards for divemaster and instructor candidates

Sean: They can be done on different days as long as there is a NAUI Instructor (for DM) or Instructor Trainer observing

scubasean once bubbled...
Are they all on the same day? different day?

Does it matter?

--Sean
Doesn't matter. Could all be on one day, 4 different days, or any combination you and your instructor agree upon.

Back
Top Bottom