Virginia Beach diver dies in South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n2diving

Reaction score
This just came in on our local news website.
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Virginia Beach diver dies in South Carolina
Associated Press
© September 2, 2003 | Last updated 9:32 AM Sep. 2

A Virginia Beach man has died in a diving accident on the Cooper River near Charleston, S.C., authorities said.

William K. Mizell III, 40, was searching for artifacts around 6 p.m. Sunday with two friends when he went under and didn't come back up, Berkeley County, S.C., chief deputy coroner Bill Salisbury said.

His body was recovered Monday morning near the Pimlico Boat Landing a few miles from Cypress Gardens, authorities said.

Mizell, an experienced diver with at least 600 dives, may have been struck by a boat propeller, Salisbury said.

I'd like to know who he was diving with. I heard from a LDS that there was probably 2 hrs. from the time he went missing until the time help was called for.

Right now, not a lot is known about the accident. Here is a link to the newspaper article from the Charleston newspaper.

Charleston News

I was diving with friends of his labor day weekend and not a lot is known at this time.

Dive flag...? Buddyline...? Solo...?

It's always sad when we lose a diver, while diving.

My prayers and sympathy to the family.

Knavey once bubbled...
Dive flag...? Buddyline...? Solo...?

From what I have heard from friends is he was doing a Cooper River dive north of the Pimlico boat landing. Diving in the Cooper is also known as black water diving, even if you start with a buddy you are usually diving solo. The boat he was diving from did have a dive flag but unfortunately not everyone recognizes them or heeds them. Apparently he was surfacing and a boat struck him. Some friends say that a boat number was gotten from a boat that possibly could be involved.

It is an unfortunate accident that could have happened to anyone of us that dive the Cooper. Just remember the family in your thoughts and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom