Successful dives after ear trauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lolarent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Back in August, I injured my left ear (ear drum perforated). It was 100% my own fault (descending too fast without compensating while freediving). Stupid.

I posted on scubaboard (medical section) to try and get some ideas on how long recovery would be, and if I should listen to my ENT who is completely unaware of the particulars of diving.

Well, I am now happy to tell you that I went to Hawaii at the end of October (don't ask me why I only post this now), and I managed to do 12 great dives, with depths varying from 30 to 120 ft. No problem whatsoever with my ear. I was very, very cautious on the first dive, but noticed no discomfort. I got progressively more comfortable over the next couple of dives, and I think I am now back to my normal dive practices (as far as descent speed and comfort).

Thanks for reading. I'm a happy diver again!

Good to hear! (Literally and figuratively, I guess . . . :) )

That is nice to hear. I am sitting hear right now with blood draining from my ruptured ear drum. Not caused from diving, just a sinus infection gone bad. This hurts like hell. Every beat of my heart sends more pain :(. I'm glad you recovered back to full dive status.

For a small perforation it soon heals over in a matter of days, however it would not be sensible to put extensive pressure on it in such a short time.

6-8 weeks should be a safe margin to dive again, happened to me on several occasions, adn there can be many reasons why, including equalizing too hard.

Glad you recovered, nothing worse than sitting on the beach and can't dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom