A Dive Instructor's CV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dharker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

As I can't leave my office based job for another 4 months, and I (of course) don't want to fill that time with actual work, I was thinking of updating my CV so that it would be useful for me as a dive instructor (all plans willing).

So, a couple of questions:

What stuff do you think should go on there, so far I can think of:

Qualifications (dive ones plus any useful, additional stuff like teaching qualifications)
Number of dives
Where I've dived
Retail experience
Management experience (perhaps?)
Any other languages

Can you think of anything else - does it need much details? One page?

Also....

Are there any other skills that it might be useful trying to learn in the next few months? (as I am saving money like crazy I won't be leaving the house much so need something to do :wink:

Cheers,

Dante

How you reacted when a student pushed you full kit backwards off a pier.

How you reacted when a student pushed you full kit backwards off a pier.

I would hope ok, I work with drug and alcohol clients and I'm lucky if I get through a day without some form of abuse, so keeping my cool is practice if nothing else :wink:

I'm guessing thaat you are going to be using this to get a job as an intrucor....?

Your cv is not gonna do a whole heap in honesty, the most likely way to get a job is by walking in to the premises.

In advance there is no harm in putting together an email to send out to LDS's in the area stating your intention to work in their area to get on their radar and ask the same question i.e what should I spend my time on now to make myself more employable when I get to your area. i found this makes people more likely to respond.

If you are planning on heading to a popular destination it is unlikely you will get responses by email unless they are trying to sell you further courses but you never know.

In the mean time languages are a definate, think about where you are heading and try to pick up as much of the language as possible. If you are in Manchester, get on the gumtree site and look for people who want to swap English for the language you need for free, the more language skill you have the better.

In terms of your CV thing about transferable skills, sales, marketing, internet, computer, engineering, it all helps.

Keep it short and sweet and certainly do not go in to great depths about where you have dived as it ends up sounding like guff

good luck

Funny you should say that about gum tree and the language exchange I've been doing that for a few weeks now, Spanish for my English. There is meetup.com too which is great for a similar thing.

My thinking with the CV was that it gets all the useful stuff together. I will write an email template too and keep it in the same file.

I'll add web design and sales too it too :wink:

Cheers

How about boating experiences? Such as captain ratings and/or mechanical skills? In this same vein, how about medical training and experiences including obvious first aid and cpr but anything beyond? What about gas blending and DAN O2 training and experience?

In terms of diving, what areas are you certified for instruction in terms of specialties. Any additional training such as caves, deep, wrecks?

Any past youth leadership accomplishments such as a BSA Eagle Scout? Ever a coach for youth sports? Any training and/or experiences where you have worked with youth, handicapped, senior citizens?

You may not know where a dive shop is weakest so the more rounded and the more skills that you have to offer, the more interested the owner will be to hire you.

That's a fair list to have a look at and add some bits. I love the idea of being an Eagle Scout - I don't know what that is and guess I'm too old now, but it sounds very cool :)

Dharker,

It might be different for different regions but scoobydrew might have something. I just started working as a DM. Walked into the shop, talked to the owner. He got me in touch with his Course Director. She told me they'd be in the pool on Saturday and to drop by the shop with all my gear. She gave me a tank full of air, had me sit in on a DSD briefing then we went to the pool and she had me DM with her for two DSD classes. End of the night she sent me the pay schedule and said I was hired. No CV and didn't even look at my log book.

Back
Top Bottom