Wear a cap after diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
:cold: Ever get a chill after a dive, even after 80 degree F water in 90 F air? I'm certainly a stout bodied fellow, but I do and I've seen skinny gals just shivering and shaking!! Two reasons:

(1) 80 F is not 98.6, so the body core temp is going to be lowered :frosty: more so with a diver fully submerged than a swimmer who keeps his head party above water.*

(2) With the boat moving, and air moving across wet hair, the water evaporates even faster, causing a cooling effect on this sensitive area.*

:grad: * For reasons I won't go into here, I'll simply state that when a person is chilled, up to 40% of heat loss can be through an uncovered head, making head cover as important as a jacket in cool weather - and a very good idea after any dive. Many urban men wore hats until the 1960s, when J.F.Kennedy and the Beetles made styled hair more popular, but you'll notice that outdoors men still do, hot or cold. (In hot weather, it's to protect this sensitive area from sun exposure.)

Any solid fabric, duckbilled "gimme" cap will work, the kind :fork: farmers here call a "winter cap," not the lighter weight meshback cap that farmers call a "summer cap" and urbanites call a "trucker cap," but - I think black caps work the best.

So, if you get chilled after dives, or just don't want to be, stick a black, solid fabric, duckbilled "gimme" cap in a dry pocket of your boarding bag, and wear it after every dive.

And of course, wear at least a neoprene beanie while diving. I know, hardly any do, but it helps a lot too.

July in Cayman Brac found me in a 5mm and a beanie on every dive!

In caves of FL I dive dry. In the caves of the Yucatan I dive a 7mm jumpsuit and a 5/3 hooded vest.

Yup. I get cold easily. And I wear a hat after the dive.

I agree with your observations.

Up here, once September rolls in, sometimes even the hat isn't enough. Jen brings a blanket to curl up in, and especially during night dives, will even break out a pair of mittens for the ride home.

There is, of course, the fall diving hot chocolate (day) or Starbucks (night) pre dive pit stop too :D

I carried a jacket to Catalina two weeks ago, and wore if after diving as well as after dark, as the Pacific can cool that air - especially for a desert dweller used to dry air.

I also have a 3/4 length oilskin "duster" I take when I expect cooler after dive temps. Available at any good Western Wear store in Texas; doubt so up yonder where Western Wear is a costume thing. Anyway, I love the cleaning instructrions: "Wash with garden hose."

:mrcool: Don

dandydon once bubbled...
Anyway, I love the cleaning instructrions: "Wash with garden hose."

:mrcool: Don

Now that sounds like my kinda dive apparel!

Even in the summers up in the PNW, we all tend to at minimum throw on baseball caps, moving to fleece caps when colder weather rolls around. When I warm water dive, I still throw on a baseball cap afterwards and always have a windbreaker/rain jacket along (with attached hood) that I usually don after the dive, esepcially when doing multiple dives for multiple days.

Even though the water or top-side temps may be warmer, dandydon is right on that you are still losing core body heat.

Rule 6, man...

I get hood hair. Can't roll around the ship after a dive with hood hair.

You people are killing me with the "lowered body temp" meets "duckbill" meets "the human head weighs 8 pounds" crapola...

Shake yourselves... you can't walk into the galley with a Don King 'do.

I don't like the new O-Ring. A year ago, he wouldn't let this get past two replies without setting this thread straight.

geeze... this board is spiraling fast.

I bet Fido wears a lid after a dive...

I ran an All Forums Search on "Caps" - finding nothing, and so many others I've seen on dive boats simply don't seem to aware of the cause of the chills nor what is an obvious answer to others. :shaking: Did not intend to insult anyone; wanted to offer possible help...

Mo2vation seems to be pretty irritated, although I've not completley deciphered his words? Anyone else understand his problem? :confused:

If this is an Experts Only forum, perhaps I should shut up and wait for such Know-Alls to tell me what I need to know, when I need to know it. :poking:

I know, I'll ask Mr. Mo2vation to block anything I might write, so I won't insult him again! :croctears:

Yeah...

dandydon once bubbled...
I ran an All Forums Search on "Caps" - finding nothing, and so many others I've seen on dive boats simply don't seem to aware of the cause of the chills nor what is an obvious answer to others. :shaking: Did not intend to insult anyone; wanted to offer possible help...

Mo2vation seems to be pretty irritated, although I've not completley deciphered his words? Anyone else understand his problem? :confused:

If this is an Experts Only forum, perhaps I should shut up and wait for such Know-Alls to tell me what I need to know, when I need to know it. :poking:

I know, I'll ask Mr. Mo2vation to block anything I might write, so I won't insult him again! :croctears:

Yeah...

Dandydon

Check out www.squidwear.com

My wife wears one of their neoprene hats after every dive and sometimes she wears it diving. Does wonders for handling hair and also keeps her warm.

I don't like the new O-Ring. A year ago, he wouldn't let this get past two replies without setting this thread straight.

geeze... this board is spiraling fast.
Dude, sorry to let you down, but the barrage of bozonity has had me running for cover lately. It's like...where do you start?? I think I am stuck somewhere in the bottom of the spiral.

Man, I really hope you aren't talking about one of these: http://www.squidwear.com/caps_squid.html#

Back
Top Bottom