Open Water Courses and the Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere in the waters of Lake Ontario or the St
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just taken the first few evenings of my Basic Open Water course and I have a question (already).

It seems I can't swim.

I've been snorkelling and freediving (a little bit, not to any great depths before anyone asks) yet I couldn't meet the requirements for length of surface swim, length of time treading water, or the part where you have to retrieve a 10 lb weight off the deep end of the pool.

I could swim some lengths of the pool on the surface, yet got too tired to do the required number of laps. It didn't help that nobody had ever taught me a specific technique for surface swimming.

I could retrieve the 10lb weight (on the second try), yet couldn't quite get it up to the surface. When I started to sink despite finning my bare feet madly, I decided it would be more important to get myself to the surface than the weight.

And I can't tread water. Never could - was never taught.

Does anyone have any ideas to get me through the swimming portion of the OW?

There are a few things outside of the classroom/pool that I can do.

I've dived to 15 or 20 feet, hovered for a moment to chase a fishie or take a picture, then returned to the surface.

With fins/mask/snorkel I can swim the length of the bay (which is about .6 of a mile, if I had to guess)

When I'm wearing neoprene - even as thin as 2mil - and fins, I'm perfectly comfortable. I can 'giant stride' into water, dive in, whatever. Toy around on the surface or under it, do barrel rolls, somersaults, whatever.

However take away my neoprene and fins and I seem to be useless.

How could I not have noticed in 15 years??? :confused:

Hi FreeFloat!

When I went through OW, my friend (who was alsot doing the same) couldn't do the required swimming poriton either. I am a strong swimmer (was taught by my grandaddy who threw me in the river off the side of the boat...sink or swim baby...I'm not a pretty swimmer, but I get the job done!) So she and I kept going to the YMCA pool and we would swim laps and I taught her how to tread water. The trick to treading water is you need to relax. Most people frantically wave their arms and legs hoping to stay afloat. Just a gentle circle made with your arms and legs will do the job. After some pool sessions my friend was successful, I know you will be too. Good luck!

I don't want to give away anyone's private information so I'm going to make this kind of cryptic.

If you are who I think you are, & I did look at your profile so I'm pretty sure. You have a friend from Ottawa who will be visiting you soon?

If you need a swim buddy, while you work on your skills, pm me. We could go to the pool together at lunch for adult swim.

with Walter. Learn to swim and tread water then learn to dive.

In the words of Master Chief Billy Sunday,

'Swimming ain't got jackshiznit to do with diving'.

If your getting certified with PADI, skip the swim and snorkel the 300 yards, mask, snorkel, fins..you can't go wrong. It is an extra 100 yards, but you'll probably be more comfortable.

As far as treading goes, lie on your back, submerge your ears in the water, look straight up, bring your legs/feet up but keep them in the water and relax....use your breathing to keep your mouth/nose out of the water.

If you exhale too much your going to sink more then if you just exhale a little. You only need to do it for 10 minutes, once you get the hang of it, you'll get bored.

JAson

...It has been my observation that competent swimmers, on the whole, are more comfortable in the water; however, there are exceptions. I've seen N.L.S. Lifeguards get alarmingly uptight at the thought of going u/w, despite the fact they could surface swim from here to eternity.

Being comfortable in the water prior to your initial scuba training is your goal. For most people, this requires rudimentary swimming skills & lots of laps, including sub-surface breath-hold swimming ( make sure you understand ear-clearing techniques, then practice them as you swim down into the deep end ).

Picture-perfect stroke technique is unnecessary.

Finally, take solace in the fact that your efforts in the lap pool will greatly enhance your overall level of fitness. Scuba is a sport for the fit of mind & body...get there & stay there as long as you continue to dive; or better still, for the rest of your life!

Now get out there & swim!

Regards,
D.S.D.

Well I'm taking her out to try and drown her... err check her out.

Actually, I've seen Freefloat in the water, she does have some skills -- some not so pretty ones, but she does have the basics.

So this weekend, when I'm in her neighbourhood, we're going to the pool, improve on the basics and I'll teach her what treading water is all about.

You have to retrieve a 10lb weight from the bottom of the pool?

Which agency are you training with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom