Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: DM's drowned by students

Regular of the Pub

Boats & Hoes

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos

DM's drowned by students

How often do DM's get drowned by panicked students? Have any DM's here had to fight off a panicked diver?

Registered

is moving city

Dives
    200 - 499
    "Drowned" generally refers to someone that has actually died... do you mean that?

I've never heard of any that have... among the DM's and instructors at our shop i don't want to guess how many students we've all collectively had, and there have been no stories [real or otherwise]...

you learn in the rescue course how to deal with divers that are in a full panic state... the "victims" (divemasters) don't cut you any slack... if they can grab you, you're going under, getting kicked, climbed on, punched, regs out of mouths... the full works, as they should as well. in the training you get the ability to stop and discuss the situation, how to better it for next time, review what when right and wrong.

you can't ask someone who actually believes they're drowing to stop for a minute while you get your breath.

Registered

status quo

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Please point me to the argument that spawned this question.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    I've had it happen twice to me. Kicker is it wasn't either as a DM and wasn't my buddy or group. Was also in a rock quarry... Fun stuff let me tell you. Many years of lifeguarding and the training that went with that was much more helpful than what we were taught in scuba. If you train your students well, that type of stuff should present itself in the pool long before you make it to open water

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by robbcayman View Post
    How often do DM's get drowned by panicked students? Have any DM's here had to fight off a panicked diver?
    If this ever happens to me (as a DM or otherwise) I will consider it 100% my fault for failing to correct the situation much much earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    If someone has a "jesus take the wheel" approach to crisis, they shouldn't be cave/technical diving.

Registered

is wild about diving Kona.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I've never had a student (open water class or intro divers) panic to the point of climbing on me. I've had certified divers do it on night dives a couple of times over the years.

Senior Moderator

Mama said,"don't
    get wet"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I got in a serious situation during a rescue exercise once due to the student's mistake but I wasn't a DM at the time. I was just playing "victim"

In the years I was a DM I witnessed one case of full blown panic during a dive from a student who probably shouldn't have been taken to her check out dives at that point. As an instructor, I learned from that moment and I've (knock on wood) never had a student panic during a checkout dive. In that case, the instructor did the "tackling" and not the student so there was no danger to me as DM. My role at that point was to remain with the rest of the students.

I still get the odd one that wants to bolt in the pool (99 times out of 100 it happens during the first few attempts at the mask skills) but I feel that the 1% is my fault and at some point i'll have it nailed.

R..
    There are two types of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Scuba Instructor

is.

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by robbcayman View Post
    I'm not aware of any DM's drowning because of a student. Having to deal with panicked students grabbing ahold of you isn't unheard of but is very infrequent. I've certified close to five hundred students and have only had it happen to me once. Mostly my fault - I was distracted, dropped my guard and wasn't looking for trouble.
    Gone diving.

Scuba Instructor

is wondering why

Dives
    500 - 999
    Haven't been drown, but does getting punched count?
    paddler3d likes this.
    If we were logical, the future would be bleak, indeed. But we are more than logical. We are human beings, and we have faith, and we have hope, and we can work.
    -- Cousteau

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by rjack321 View Post
    If this ever happens to me (as a DM or otherwise) I will consider it 100% my fault for failing to correct the situation much much earlier.
    If it happens to you, you won't be in a position to consider anything.
    tridacna likes this.
    I will no longer be responding to vision care advice requests either via pm or on the thread I started on that subject. My apologies in advance for any consternation that may result.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast