Pre-Dive Music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howler93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Folks!

I'm just curious if anyone has any "scuba music" that they like to "get in their heads" before they submerge. As a newish diver, this is a topic that interests me because I have used music in a number of activities to increase both my enjoyment, as well as my performance. For example, when learning to telemark ski, I had specific music that helped me focus on rhythm, aggressiveness, and flow...

I know it's impossible to bring tunes to the depths with us as we dive, but are there any songs that you've intentionally tried to "get in your head" in order to enjoy your dive more? Are there any songs that you feel help your air consumption rate?

As a rock-climber, I've had many "random" songs pop into my head during a climb, some which were enjoyable/beneficial, while others were annoying/detrimental.

So divers, do you have any "SCUBA songs" that help you during your dives? Please share!

Howler :D

I know it's impossible to bring tunes to the depths with us as we dive
Not impossible; not even difficult. Here is an MP3 player designed for use while scuba diving and rated to 66 meters:

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

I love my music, especially at the gym, but any music would spoil a dive for me. Diving is all about putting the terrestrial world behind me for an hour.

I COMPLETELY understand the desire to hear only BUBBLES and BREATHING during a dive, I really do, I just wonder if there are any SCUBA go-to songs that help divers enjoy their dives more...:idk:

"Twenty-six miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is waiting for me. Romance, romance, romance, romance."

Probably my first OW dive was at Catalina Island had something to do with that song stuck in my head whenever I go diving.

Living in San Jose and doing a majority of my dives in Monterey or Carmel, I have a bit of a drive when I dive. But at 5 am when I'm in the truck going to enjoy a dive I HAVE to get my mind right. For the ride down I put on something by "10 years" or "mumford and sons". Once at the dive site, Jack Johnson works.

Just the other day I was helping my instructor with an OW class. When we arrived at Breakwater I turned my radio up enough to hear it at the back of my truck and he chuckled to himself. I asked him why and he said, "...because I always associate you with diving and music. When you dive there is music present." :) I understand your desire for music when you dive.

Happy diving

Last edited:
I like on simple dives in places I did several times to listen my breathing. It brings me almost in a trance. But I don't do it on deeper/difficult ones.

I am not sure I really want to listen to music while I am diving but when Ishot video years ago I used to edit in music by Vangelis, Jean Michelle Jarre, Kitaro and Pink Floyd.

On my two hour drive to the east coast of UAE on a Friday morning I usually have some Floyd blasting out at high volume, Wish you were here :D

As long as you look over your shoulder and keep from cutting off other skiiers and boarders, I have no qualms over you listening to music while on the slopes :D.

As for me, any sorts of my usual taste in music will do. I've never been one for setting tunes to a theme. Keeps your passengers on their toes :wink:.
I usually cut the music as soon as I step out of the car. I like the chatter of sea gulls, seals, the ocean, and the occasional diver who falls into those pot holes all the kids are digging. *angry-smug face*

Last edited:
Depends on the mood. Pink Floyd's good diving music. Some sorta classical stuff ... like Michael Kamen's Guitar Concerto is also good. Sometimes I like the oldies ... like Procol Harem, King Crimson, Grateful Dead, Dr. John, Eric Clapton or Allman Bros. And when I'm in a whimsical mood, Barefoot Man or something outta a comix movie like Aladdin or The Jungle Book ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom