Live Aboard Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive-spot

Reaction score
Objective:
The work on a live aboard as a dive master and gain experience to become and instructor.

Present:
I am new to scuba. I am certified just over 1 year and in this last year I have logged 56 dives to date. I am (NAUI) AOW certified and am planning on taking Rescue and Master Diver over the winter. Then starting Dive master next summer. I have dived everything from mud puddles with 3-inch vis. in calm waters to Flower Garden Banks NMS with strong currents in 6 ft swells.
I am a 28-year-old male with no wife or kids with very little debt.

Question:
What is the best way to go about getting a job aboard a live aboard? Are there live aboard jobs that will hire before you are a dive master? Is there a trade magazine with jobs listed?

I have been land locked all of my life with no prior boating experience. But, I have always loved the water and have a strong desire to work on it. I have looked into places like Halls Diving Institute but I don't think starting a new career $18k in debt is the best idea. I would like to here any advise on this matter. I would like to come up with a plan that will make me a great diver/dive master/instructor in the future with as little room for failure as possible. I am willing to work anywhere in the world.

Check the live aboard companies website. Peter Hughes has a link to employment. I am sure the others do too. PHD requires you have a certain type of safety training. It is mentioned on their site. I think it is a Coasy Guard requirement so it would be benificial to have. Talk to Captain Frank on the Fling in Freeport or the capt of the Sea Searcher, I think that is the other boat company at the flower gardens, and ask them for advice.
As to hiring you as a dive master, probably but any other skills you can bring to the boat will be benificial.
Good luck,
Joe

it is not a link to jobs, but my two last liveaboards. I did nto work them I was treated as a guest.

http://www.dsproffitt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home/Diving/what its like.htm

You could also try Dive Centres in Egypt(Hurghada/Sharm in April), Thailand (Phuket in November) Indonesia (Bali) these are places that I know employ single-language instructors (like me)

It would also help if you were an instructor. Egypt has a NAUI chapter, Phuket is almost exclusively PADI and Bali is a PADI enclave as well.

If you speak another language, this is the biggest bonus of all. Especially if it is a major European one (French, German, Spanish, Scandinavian) or Japanese.

It will be hard work to find a job, but once you make it is fantastic. I did it for two years in Thailand cruising up to Myanmar(Burma) and discovering new sites in unexplored territories,
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom