Scuba Diving Breathing techniques ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We all know controlling the way we breathe (air consumption) is important for diving . And to do so you have to :

1- Remain really calm and control your excitement
2- Reduce motion and fin kicks as much as possible
3- Peak Buoyancy control and using the correct amount of weight
4- Make sure you are correctly and perfectly streamlined
5- Stay in good health by exercising frequently.
6- Last thing is your breathing technique which is the hardest to practice. I have been advised with several techniques (some of them include holding the air inside for a while) to reduce air consumption , but non-of them worked good for me yet. Or maybe they are too hard for me to practice , Based on that I decided to open that thread so we can all share our techniques to help divers to choose what suits them and to do so I need you to share :
a- Your breathing technique
b- How did you practice it and how long did it take to get used to it.
c- How hard was it ?what did you do to overcome any hardship faced?

Thanks
Nomro

I really don't use any "breathing technique". The only thing that is different about my breathing underwater is that I have learned not to allow it to change when I am task-loaded or distracted.

Im not a very experienced diver but I do race motorbikes and the one thing I've found with breathing is to relax,chill,clear the head. --In other words the more you stress over it the worse its gonna be.

It's not a good idea to "hold it in for a while". This is 'skip-breathing' and causes you to retain carbon dioxide which needs to be exhaled. Probably your bggest issue is that you have only a few dives. You will, as most of us have, use less air as you get more dives in. Personally, I breathe in quite heavily and then exhale through my nose slowly. This doesn't work for everyone since it has a tendency to cause their mask to fog up. It seems that since I clean my mask with spit and have a purge valve in the botom of my mask it doesn't fog.

I breathe in slowly and at the point my lungs reach near capacity I exhale very slowly.

I've been doing this since I was certified

I used to not think about it much (except to keep breathing slow and steadily), but after reading Steve Lewis's The Six Skills I have been thinking a lot more about breathing techniques for divers. I can't paraphrase it well, but the really short lesson is that good breathing is a skill that can (and should) be taught and learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom