Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is wearing bright, visible colors underwater useful?

Divemaster
    Badge

Firearms instructor

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Petert71 View Post
    It's a little off topic, but is there a reason why most equipment is black and makes us look like seals? Other than that black tends to be a natural colour for rubber products.

I have a green tank light (even in daytime) which makes me easily identifiable.
    Partly because it allows faster production when you dont constantly have to change colors for the same stock. They did back in the 90s experiment with diffrent vibrant colors of wet suits which appeared to at least been successful for a short period of time but for what ever reason the elder divers who were active in that time period seem to have a hay day and poke fun at those types of gear now.

Also in a non official response and more from my own point of view it does tend to make color coding for other gear a tad easier. In my case all of my emergency gear is yellow. All of my primary gear I would use is blue such as primary hose and computer hose. All other hoses I do in black.

As to an official answer sorry I cant provide one for you but I am sure someone will come along who can.
    Live in North East Oklahoma and want to meet fellow divers? Broken Arrow divers has moved to facebook and we are also at www.broken-arrow-divers.com so look us up Broken Arrow Divers and join us on some awesome dives today!

Registered

is tired of being topside.

Dives
    50 - 99
    If you don't want to change from fashionable black there's always hose wraps. My buddy and I was in Puerto Vallerta with awful vis and one of the people in our group had hose wraps. I'm sure that there's a whole another thread of why hose wraps are bad and why they are good, but the bottom line is that we could always see those hose wraps.

We went and got the hose wraps. We now know each other underwater, and everyone knows us.

I've recently changed to the MiFlex hoses and haven't gone diving with them yet, but I expect the bright blue and bright yellow will help me stand out from everyone else.
    aquaregia likes this.

NASE Instructor

Discover the unknown. Explore
    another part of the world.
    Underwater World!!!

USA, SOUTH AMERICA, HAWAII, BAHAMAS, CHILE, ISRAEL, FIJI, AUSTRALIA, NZ, CANADA.
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Wearing bright objects and clothing attracts Marine Life!!!

However!!! If wear a fin that is a bright color that's fine. Or you can use a flashing beacon on the straps of the tank.

To avoid or minimize dive separation.

• Plan your dive and dive your plan.
    • Plan for separation procedures. i.e if separated, look for one another for a minute. After a minute surface and meet on surface.
    • Keep eye contact every few minutes
    • Keep within 2 meters distance from one another. throughout the dive.

Have fun and Dive frequently!!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456