Diving Jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This post is aimed towards instructor level jobs in the diving industry. I am currently a NAUI Instructor. I would love to have one of these cruise ship jobs. Norwegian hires instructors of almost any agency. I just saw tonight in an article that Royal Caribbean just started hiring PADI Instructors. Why is this? What different does it make to a cruise ship whether the instructor teaches PADI, NAUI, ACUC, SSI, SDI, NASDAS.....

I would love to work aboard a Royal Caribbean ship....I think they are the most beautiful cruise ships and I would love for the opportunity to work and live on a cruise ship but I can't because of a stupid agency requirement. I think that's just stupid. Like it has been said before, it doesn't matter what agency you are taught under, it matters what kind of instructor you are. Diving is diving, no matter who dishes it out. There's my rant for the night.

The cruise line must stock student materials from whichever agency their instructor works through. Fewer agencies means less 'stuff' they need to bring aboard, and since space is a premium commodity, many cruise lines will only stick with one agency.

Instructors for some cruise lines don't actually do any scuba instruction. Often they deal with organizing snorkeling excursions and that's all. In such a case, agency affiliation doesn't matter so much.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
The cruise line must stock student materials from whichever agency their instructor works through. Fewer agencies means less 'stuff' they need to bring aboard, and since space is a premium commodity, many cruise lines will only stick with one agency.

I would not be supprised to hear that PADI has an "exclusive" deal to run scuba off of such-and-such cruise line. There would be a bunch of business advantages to both parties from such an arrangement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom