Diving AFTER Flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know for a fact this has been discussed on scubaboard before but the search function is not my friend since the upgrade. If anyone is more successful than I, please feel free to provide the links.

I am flying to FL next month and would like to dive Blue Heron Bridge the day I get there. Does anyone know of any issues (I can't remember any but figured I'd double check) with diving a few hours after flying? I should be landing around lunch time and I'm thinking of a late afternoon, early evening dive, if I can find anyone to dive with me.

None outside of possible dehydration, but that's easy to fix. Just keep drinking water on the flight. As long as you're peeing regularly, there's no worry.

-Charles

I've only experienced problems once but that was when I flew from europe to the caribbean via Houston and whithout much sleep went diving the next day. I knew it could come out the wrong way but I was desperate to get in the water. Just felt a bit dizzy after the dive and as already mentioned dehydrated and very tired. But imagine coming from 10°C (50°F) to 35°C (96°F) with a humidity from 40% to 85%... guess that was the reason ;-)

Thomas

If you are flying commercial, you should not dive and fly the same day. To much stress dealing with the idiots.

Last edited:
I used to do this when I had 0-24 dives and I lived to dive. Nothing wrong with that. Several years later, I find I personally enjoy my dive day waaaaaay more when I am rested and not stressed out from long travel. But yes, dive away if ya want as the others have said and have a blast!

I have never believed it to be related, but the first chapter of Diver Down by Mike Ange tells the story of an experienced tec diving instructor who took a serious "unearned hit" on a relatively shallow dive which commenced within a couple of hours of getting off a plane.

Probably not relevant but I throw it in for consideration.

Not to sound too much like a nerd, but the restrictions regarding diving then flying have to do with atmospheric pressure and possible DCI. Nitrogen gas bubbles might form if the gas in your blood comes out of solution bacause the surrounding pressure is reduced, ie getting on a plane. The opposite is true, increased surrounding pressure will make the bubbles dissolve and go back in solution. That's why DCI is often treated with a stay in a hyperbaric chamber which increases the ambient air pressure.

Only problem with flying then diviing is the dehydration issues related to airplane travel which increases risk DCI. As previous posters have said, just drink plenty of fluids and keep hydrated.

Last edited:
Just hydrate....before the flight and during it. Then dive!

We practice this with a passion!

Have fun!

Just to be technically correct on this issue...

The only possible issue that could cause problems with diving after flying is the altitude of your destination.

If your destination is at or lower than your starting point point, then there are no issues with diving after flying. This appears to be case in your specific scenario.

But if you are flying to a higher altitude than your starting point, then you must refer to the procedures for diving at altitude. For instance, if you were flying from D.C. (sea level) to Lake Tahoe (8,000 feet), then you would have to take into account the altitude change and elapsed time.

Back
Top Bottom