Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: First Ocean dive with my son

Registered

Just enjoying life !!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499

First Ocean dive with my son

This was my boys first dive in the big pond We had a chance to dive in Myrtle beach last week on an old post civil war wreck, called the Sherman. which was a blockade runner that sank sometime in th 1800's. The wreck held clouds of bait fish as well as several other species..But the most interesting creatures were the half a dozen or so large barracudas that were hanging around...we made two dives to almost 60' with decent viz and warm water temps.

This was his first time doing a boat dive as well and I couldnt be more proud of his performance as a new diver....

Its so enjoyable to share the experiance with new divers as well as family. You can feel the level of excitement as you observe them during their experiance...
    Tim

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Fun ain't it?

Registered

PADI Pro, author, scuba snob

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    My enjoyment of diving exploded when a family member joined me as a diver- my wife Debbie. As you buddy with and mentor your son, you will find how terrific it is to have a buddy you know and have dove with regularly as opposed to the wild card "instabuddy." As an experienced diver you can also teach him beyond the basics covered in class. And you have a common reference for new conversations about diving and dive experiences. Sharing the joy of diving with a family member has many many positives above and below the water. It led us to writing a book together: The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette." You and you son can share a copy (on amazon.com)
    DivemasterDennis

Registered

is diving, why arent you?

Dives
    200 - 499
    Give him a big congrats for us all! The ocean is a wonderful place, and while there is some truly incredible diving inland, I am still of the opinion that nothing can compare!

Now for the biggest job of all, keep him diving!

AAUS Certified Scientific Diver with the University of California, Davis.

Divemaster
    Badge

Click on my signature links!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    I can definitely relate to having a child join you in your diving adventures.

I recently had my daughter join me as a certified diver and now our time spent together has created lasting memories that I will always cherish.

(Note:Can someone tell me if the video shows up correctly?)

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I just returned from Florida last week from MY first ocean diving experience. The best part is that I had the pleasure of sharing it with my son, as well. We both had a blast. I like the inland quarry diving just fine...but there is NO comparison! Congrats to you both.

Registered

Just enjoying life !!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Thank all of you for your words of encouragement..It was his interest that has re kindle my flame...

we have been diving every week

I do agree that there is nothing like the ocean, but I will take all of the time I can get with my Kids!!
    Tim

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Hey DMDavid - Great video, I can't wait until my daughter joins me in the ocean!
    Freedom without Responsibility equals Anarchy

Registered

Just enjoying life !!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Only to make it better, My good friend has also got certified and is diving with us as well. And since then An old Navy buddy has descided to get his feet wet again and is diving as we speak in S.C.

Yes its contageous
    Tim