Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you carry the basic safety equipment when you dive, especially ocean diving?

1. SMB (Surface Market Buoy)
2. Working Light with fresh batteries
3. Reflective Signaling Device (mirror)
4. Noise Signaling Device

If not, please tell us why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

Plus three cutting devices (knife, Z knife & EMT shears),

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. SMB (surface marker buoy) :Yes
2. Working Light with fresh batteries :Only on Night Dives :D
3. Reflective Signaling Device (mirror) : No
4. Noise Making Signaling Device :Yes, Me!!!!

I don't know what to answer to this poll. I usually carry 3 of the items, light, mirror and whistle. When I dive in a small quary, i do not carry the mirror.
I have not still bought the SMB.

I carry all of those except for a signal mirror. If I had to signal (they couldn't see my smb) I could use my mask I guess. I also carry a finger spool to shoot the smb before coming to the surface if needed. On the dive light I would also suggest not using rechargeable batteries and to check it often.

I never go to sea without all 4. I caught some flak on the Cozumel forum recently for suggesting those to a newbie, but it would really suck for a first time dive to go overnight. I read about a pilot who landed a small plane in a Great Lake last week. He tried using a credit card to signal boats, but spent 18 hours treading water. I don't think many could do that.

I don't go on a commercial charter (or a friend's boat) without a safety sausage and spool.

I don't think a whistle would really be heard, and a visual aid is really enough if you ask me. Most of the time when you're looking for a diver away from a boat, having a good tall sausage is plenty for getting spotted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom