Dive Jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good website for finding jobs in the diving industry? I'm currently a PADI OW diver, but am planning to advance to instructor in the very near future. I would like to get a leg up in Florida where I'll be getting my training. I'd also like to take a look at what's available and what the industry looks for in applicants.

Most agencies have job listings posted on their websites but most of the time they are listed in their protected sections for their dive professionals. Once you get you dm certification then you should be able to get to the job listings and even post a resume'.

Lead is right, most agencies have dive job listings on their respectiv web-sites. PADI and NAUI are no exception to this.

Then there is what I believe is most practical, once you are an instructor, contacting shops in person in the area you are in or will be in allows them to meet you, by then, you'll have your resume hammered out as well.

Now, depending on where you go do your IDC, many of those ops have a pseudo-placement program. This will help you as well.

What do dive ops look for? Besides the obvious credentials and insurance, competance in teaching as well as a "people person".

Now a word of caution, if your looking to make a living in instructing, know that a very small percentage of instructors actually do THAT. Many of us have what I call "real jobs" that pay the bills, and teaching diving essentially pays for our trips and toys.

Keep this in mind...

Is a very useful ticket to have when looking for work in the industry, especially here in FL.

thanks for the advice - now I know it's hard to find a job as an instructor in Florida, but what about the carribean? or elsewhere in the world?

GQMedic once bubbled...
Many of us have what I call "real jobs" that pay the bills, and teaching diving essentially pays for our trips and toys.

Keep this in mind...

Oh. I had one of those "real jobs" once. Then I went diving.

aujax once bubbled......what about the carribean? or elsewhere in the world?

To even be in the running you must have the basic credentials the shop is looking for. Most often that is an instructor certification with whatever agency the shop primarily teaches.

But I often advise that everyone that applies for a job is already has those credentials. To distinguish yourself, you need to bring something else to the table.

Some key skills include:
  • speaking multiple languages
  • mechanical aptitude
  • boat handling experience
  • computer/web design
  • marketing experience
  • military experience
  • management skills
  • marine diesel repair
  • air compressor repair
  • teaching experience outside diving
  • USCG/RYA licensed skipper
  • customer service experience
You don't need all of them, but two or three really helps set you apart from the crowd.

A final note. You may be asked questions as a part of an application that would be illegal if asked in the US to a prospective applicant. (Age? Marital Status? Dependents? Can you provide a photo? etc...) Your answers may relate directly to whether you are eligible for a work permit which would be required for the position.

I must conceed, Drew has managed to make a living diving and, in the Caymans no less.

Oh well, *jealous rage look* some guys have all the luck!

Once you become an instructor and if you go outside the US based arena, the main prerequisite is at least a second if not a third language.

A very good freind of mine can teach in nine languages and is in such demand that she picks and chooses her jobs. Then turns them all down to go divemastering on a liveaboard boat in the southern Red Sea ... now thats power to your elbow.

If you can speak two of the following five then you will always be employed somewhere in the world, and make a very good living.
English + Japanese/German/French/Spanish/Swedish.

... and Drew .. we all hate him ... lol Caymans indeed pah! (of course I am not jealous!)

well, that's great. let's see - I speak French, some Italian and Dutch, love languages and am teaching myself Spanish, love mechanical things (carpentry and building things with metal are my hobbies), I've worked in countless marketing departments at big companies, have been in sales many times, am great with computers and have even been the IT guy at one job, I've been looking at the requirements to become a captain...and the rest I think I could pick up along the way...hmmm, aren't I optimistic? :wink: Of course, my long-term goal is to own a shop and/or charter...I wonder what the prospects of that are?

so what's the best season to look for a job down south?? is it better to do so over email and phone or get there and show up in person?? Drew, I would love to hear hiring practices in Cayman and how often positions open up. I took a job at a NJ dive shop hoping that would give me some good experience for tropical jobs. Looking to take the plunge!!!

Back
Top Bottom