Why don't we have emergency signaling devices connected to the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I suppose some deaths could be avoided if every diver carried a small item that upon pressing a button, or somesuch, called the boat. Even better if it was possible to use it for morse communication.

Am I wrong in this supposition? Or there's a technological limitation I don't know of.

The trend has been to dumb down cert courses. Adding morse code would reverse that trend. In terms of morse code, the limitation is clearly human.

There are now devices that incorporate GPS and emergency radios for line of sight communication with the boat, and there are diver carry-able emergency locator beacons that send GPS coordinates and distress information via satellite.

But I assume you want something for underwater communication with the boat? Currently there are underwater com systems but they tend to be pricey and either impractical or require a full face mask. The low tech approach is to shoot a lift bag with a slate on it. Many boats operate with one color for normal ascents and decompression stops and anothe color for emergencies that will get attention and prompt someone to see if a slate is attached. Of course, that still does not always mean the boat can come running as other divers are in the water who may be boarding, etc.

There are also currently underwater signalling devices. All that is needed to contact a boat with that technology is a hydrophone so the boat can hear the sound. But hearing the sound and locating the diver are two different things.

In many parts of Europe, the diver just has to deploy a yellow DSMB to signal an underwater emergency. This started within certain technical diving communities, but became more common-place amongst recreational divers also. Would be nice if it was taken up elsewhere as a global standard.

That said, if you're diving with a remotely competent boat crew, you can arrange whatever system you like on a day-by-day basis.

One day this will be released : Navimate - GPS for Divers

Even if it is, that just replaces your compass, nothing more. It won't solve the issue of communicating with the boat in an emergency at all. It may help prevent getting separated from the boat if you can't navigate by traditional means, but if the boat leaves or you have an underwater emergency you've spent a lot of money on a wrist-weight.

I meant underwater, yes. I wonder what makes it difficult to build a simple handle sized gadget with one button that makes something beep in the boat.

I meant underwater, yes. I wonder what makes it difficult to build a simple handle sized gadget with one button that makes something beep in the boat.

It wouldn't be especially difficult, for short range communication. The issue is it really isn't necessary and the market for it, at a price worthy of actually producing it just isn't there. The amount of incidents that occur that require communication with the boat before verbal communication is possible are actually quite a low percentage of the number dives with no incidence. Focusing on gadgetry instead of training is really going in the wrong direction.

The amount of incidents that occur that require communication with the boat before verbal communication is possible are actually quite a low percentage of the number dives with no incidence.
I'd guess that the amount of deaths by CO per dive is significantly smaller and yet there is a market for multi-hundred dollar analyzers.

Focusing on gadgetry instead of training is really going in the wrong direction.
If that's targetted at my question, don't worry about my focus on gadgetry or training, I'm reading the US navy diving manual 6 at this very moment. (Maybe that's what generates my constant questions and doubts)

:)

(and I'm not underwater because it's so fricking far away... :'( )

As a diver your primary goal needs to be self sufficient, including planning, monitoring and self-rescue. First issue would be the time lag between when you called for help and when the boat crew could answer the call, locate you and affect appropriate action. If its a true underwater emergency, it would probably be a body recovery operation, not a rescue. Underwater the best option is a buddy. For above water communications, you have a lot more time and many options.

Back
Top Bottom