Secrets to hand warmth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectre18

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone have recommendations in keeping hands warm in 46-55 degree water? I dive with a Henderson 7 mil full wet suit w/ a 5 mil hood and stay fairly toasty but my hands get terribly cold within 20 min. Gloves are Henderson 5 mil H2's that seem to have way to much water penetration not allowing my hands the time to warm the water at all. Oddly I have Neosport 3 mil boots with no problem. All are new.

5m is fine, its likely a fitment, and too much water exchange. Some people like gloves with the velcro bands that can lock up the water. I have Whites with no bands, and I the PNW and stay warm.

There are 7mm gloves.

This may sound strange, but you do lose a lot of heat thru your head and that effects the rest of your body, especially your hands. Even those of us who dive dry and use dry gloves have hand problems. If your hands are getting cold well beyond the rest of your body, take a second look at your hood. Nothing wrong with putting another hood over the one you have, when in very cold water. Good luck!

The fact that your core is cold is probably causing your extremities blood flow loss. Keep the core warmer and your hands will be warmer. Wear a drysuit! With dry gloves is even better. Throw on an Otter Bay hood and you will be toasty for those two, hour plus long dives each day.

the hood is too thin for that temperature water.
Drysuits & Accessories - Deep See 6.5mm Zippered Coldwater Dry Hood Closeouts - SAVE BIG!!! - Northeast Scuba Supply
sizes are starting to get limited but that would be much better for you. that being said, hands get cold. They give off a lot of heat, get not a lot of blood flow if they aren't moving, and as such get cold easily. Even when we're in dry suits with dry gloves your hands get cold. One way to combat that is to flex your hands almost continuously during the dive to promote blood flow, and the other is to put more neoprene on... Lobster mitts will help you stay warm. You could try to tuck your gloves under the wrists of your suit as well

at 55 I usually wear 7mm fullsuit with 5mm hooded vest/7mm hood, and 3mm gloves. I just deal with cold hands. Any thicker than 3mm and I feel like I can't move. If I'm diving colder than like 50 the dry gloves get popped on the drysuit

Last edited:
At those water temps. I wear my normal gloves. Below, say, 42 F or so, I switch to my 3 fingered mitts. A little less flexibility, but a big difference from the 5 fingered ones for warmth.

Anyone have recommendations in keeping hands warm in 46-55 degree water?

Dry suit. Dry gloves.

See pic. 40 degree water. Toasty warm.

capeann_12_.JPG

At those water temps. I wear my normal gloves. Below, say, 42 F or so, I switch to my 3 fingered mitts. A little less flexibility, but a big difference from the 5 fingered ones for warmth.

I'm a diabetic with poor circulation, my hands were chilly till I bought 3 finger gloves. Mine are 5mm Akona's.

+1 for 3 finger gloves. My hands used to get quite cold. The rest of me was fine but whenever diving in the winter, 5mm 5 finger gloves (Bare Elastek) just didn't get it done.

Now I have these: Welcome to Oceaner...

7mm 3 finger gloves from Oceaner. The wrist seal locks out water so my hands are almost dry. You do lose some dexterity but the neoprene is pretty flexible so it is not too bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom