DIR Vs PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gareth

GUE Instructor
Reaction score
haha, just kidding.

However, now I have your attention can someone please tell me how to take those daft hose protectors off reg hoses. I pulled one back tonight and found the metal is already discoloured. Begone, foul things! I've tried dropping them in hot water to soften them, as someone suggested, but that didn't seem to work.

I feel like a kid scratching his head trying to figure out why the round peg won't go into the square slot.

Cheers, and sorry to those ready to flame :)

Gareth

There is actually a tool that is made for that. It has a female threader end to screw onto the hose. The tool has a handle on the far end so you can pull like absolutely almighty hell on that hose protector...Good Luck...

Seriously.

Pull back the hose protector. Slather on the KY on the hose. It'll come off with some work.

See, it DOES have a "clean" use. Ok, two clean uses - the other that I've found is that it works great for lubricating raw water pump impellers (non-destructively, since its water-based) on inboard boat engines.

take your EMT shears and run the end up under the hose protector (starting from the hose side, not the fitting side) and cut them off.

(the tool is for putting hose protectors ON, not taking them off. you run the tool down through the hose protector and screw the LP port fitting into the tool. Then you can pull the hose protector down over the fitting onto the hose.)

Most of'em cut off very easily.

IF you have a steady hand....and you feel like being a bit of a magician...and exacto knife works well on those ones that are like shrink wrapped on there....

I do not suggest using an exacto knife unless you know WTF you're doing with one....

The EMT shears are your best bet.

I use Silicone spray.

BTW, a third "clean" use for the KY is lubricating drysuit wrist and neck seals.

Boiling Water... That does it...

Oh... uh.. I mean for the hose protectors... If they are the vinyl ones... Boiling water is not the substitute for KY for other uses... Ouch! ... Not sure which direction this thread is heading now.. :06:

I like hose protectors and always pull them down when cleaning my gear. The boiling water trick works but dont get carried away it only takes a few seconds to heat the thing up. An exacto knife or straight edge will work if you have a steady hand and are not careless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom