Scuba Dive and Weight Train! at the same time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoore31

Registered
Reaction score
Submerged Underwater weight training?

Who here has experience weight lifting?

Experience Scuba diving?

Many misconceptions occur when a person has not participated in either one or the other activity

- "Oh scuba diving takes way too long to get ready for!!

- "Weights are less heavy underwater!"

Why is it so far out there to do this? Until one has tried it out I do not believe it should be judged- It is great- It feels great- less stress on my cranium, and that's not even the scientific explanation as to why there are possible benefits for the saving wear and tear on the joints!

The idea came to me when I thought "How can we do low impact exercises for obese individuals? Swimming! Well what if that is hard for them, then do not let them worry about breathing, give them a scuba tank!

Google search, Underwater weight training. Underwater Breathable.com

I looked at your link, although I didn't play the movie. I'm not sure what your point is. You weight-train when you lift heavy weights; put them underwater, and they aren't heavy, so you gain far less from lifting them. Heavy exercise on scuba is contraindicated, because the increased work of breathing through a regulator doesn't support really high exertion levels without CO2 buildup.

If you want to weight train with scuba, park further away from the dive site.

Seems like aqua aerobics to me. You're right that the water is less impact for joints. Aqua aerobics uses weights, but big foam weights for resistance training, the more surface area the more resistance they create in the water. They have foam shoes and foam belts and foam everything.

As stated, it is not a good idea because of the increased CO2 production.
We work out when we are in saturation, and I know for a fact that the scrubbers need to be changed a lot more frequently.
On SCUBA you would struggle with that work load.

PADI jumped on the band wagon. Get your Scuba fitness specialty course certification. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Density! The density of the weights is not less than water therefore weights do not get lighter, in fact the water resistance makes it more difficult to swing the weights (cheating) a quick lookup co2 retention was for skip relating but I am sure terr is more to it. I could always be wrong, keep in mind the same for yourselves-:wink: be back!

Get a Bowflex. With the slow build up of tension on the rods, vs the high impact of starting with full, dead weight, it's less stress on the joints.

For free dive training....experimentation, I have been doing bowflex exercises while holding my breath to simulate swimming down on a dive. Training my muscles to work with less oxygen and more CO2. I don't know if it works. It sounds good on paper though.

Submerged Underwater weight training?
- "Weights are less heavy underwater!" ...

... The idea came to me when I thought "How can we do low impact exercises for obese individuals? Swimming! Well what if that is hard for them, then do not let them worry about breathing, give them a scuba tank!

So if I get this correct, the plan is to strap a clinically obese person to a scuba tank and make them carry weights around the bottom of the pool because the weights are "less heavy underwater".

I am unable to open your link, so instead base my response on your post.

There are a number of reasons why this is a really bad idea;
First off, if a 5lbs weight is too heavy for a person then just give them 2lbs. Doing exercises underwater for the ego of lifting inappropriately heavy weights strikes me as foolish.

In fact many of the trainers I know (I am not a trainer by profession) will advocate nothing more than a casual walk for obese people (and only after consultation with a doctor).

Hard exercise tends to raise the breathing rate. CO2 retention has been mentioned. Over breathing the regulator or emptying a tank in a matter of seconds also strike me as hazards.

An obese person undertaking strenuous exercise is more prone to collapse, heart issues, etc. Why would you want to put them at the bottom of a pool where emergency response is more difficult?

Back
Top Bottom