Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wetsuit Question: Please Help!

Registered

Lifes a beach, then you dive
    :D

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

Wetsuit Question: Please Help!

Hi everyone, I live here in good old Wisconsin, and plan on doing some Lake Michigan diving this spring, and all my fellow divers tell me "have fun in that 7mil wetsuit" I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help keep warm with a wetsui in Lake Michigan, besides buying a dry suit. Also, could you wear a shorty uner the one piece wetsuit? I have a scubapro 2.5 mil profile shorty from vacation dives, would that help any?

Thanks
    beaverdivers likes this.

Marine Scientist

won't set
    a status......wait-opps.

Dives
    200 - 499
    If your wetsuit fits like a glove and allows minimum water to enter and minimum water to continually flush then you've got a good wetsuit that will do it's job.
    I don't know what the norm is for wetsuit divers in Lake Michigan, but here in Monterey serious wet-divers buy custom-fitted 10mm farmer john wetsuits w/ attached hoods and custom fitted no-zip booties.

Ways to improve am existing wetsuit are buying a hooded vest, buying a hood, or taking it to a shop that will do altercations to fit it to your body measurements.
    You could also buy custom fitted hooded vests, booties, hoods, or a whole wetsuit setup from said custom wetsuit shops.

Generally the custom-fitted exposure protection will provide better warmth than stock items. Other custom-fit variations that provide more warmth are
    - no-zip booties
    - attached-hooded vests/jackets
    - skin-in neoprene

I wouldn't recommend wearing two wetsuits unless you're on vacation, in the middle of a temp gap for your two wetsuits, and don't want to buy the appropriate exposure protection.
    Doing so can stretch your suit, allows more water to enter and flush through, and you generally don't gain as much warmth compared to if you bought good fitting exposure protection in the first place.
    And even if you do pursue that route I only recommend wearing a farmer john jacket as the outer layer, since you don't have to combine neck seals of two wetsuits then.

In your specific case, 2.5mm is not sufficient enough to keep out the cold of Lake Michigan. If your 7mm flushes with water, you'll only have the 2.5mm to help you out. Think about how your neck's going to feel with a hood and two wetsuits around it as well.

For home diving use, spend your big bucks on good exposure protection. This doesn't always mean dry suit btw.
    jcfahy likes this.

( \/ )
    (O~O)
    ('')><('')#
    my alter ego....don't ask

Registered

Lifes a beach, then you dive
    :D

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Thanks, I already use a hooded vest, and love it, I guess I'll just try Lake Michigan in my 7mil wetsuit and hooded vest, and go from there

MSDT

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    If stock items fit you like a glove I would try either an O'Neill T-Type or a combo 5mm with 5mm overshorty with hood if you are desperate to be wet.
    Personally I only use wetsuit until 22 C then is dry suit as the amount of lead you need to take down 10-12 mm of neoprene is just too cumbersome compared to a shell style dry suit

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help keep warm with a wetsui...
    Can you carry an insulated jug of very warm water? Pour a quart inside your suit, down your back, just before going in. Helps a lot. I like to add some when I get out too.
    beaverdivers likes this.
    You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
    Testing is safer...

Great news for vacation divers who cannot talk themselves into buying a personal CO tank tester!

>> Rent one for a week or longer here <<

Yeah it's just the air we breath - at depth!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    You could wear the shorty on the outside of your full wet suit. We were in the Keys recently and they were doing that - layering a 3 mil with a shorty - seemed to work well. I don't know if this would stretch your shorty too much though - or if that would be a problem for you if it did stretch in?
    beaverdivers likes this.

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by g1138 View Post
    If your wetsuit fits like a glove and allows minimum water to enter and minimum water to continually flush then you've got a good wetsuit that will do it's job.
    I don't know what the norm is for wetsuit divers in Lake Michigan, but here in Monterey serious wet-divers buy custom-fitted 10mm farmer john wetsuits w/ attached hoods and custom fitted no-zip booties.

Ways to improve am existing wetsuit are buying a hooded vest, buying a hood, or taking it to a shop that will do altercations to fit it to your body measurements.
    You could also buy custom fitted hooded vests, booties, hoods, or a whole wetsuit setup from said custom wetsuit shops.

Generally the custom-fitted exposure protection will provide better warmth than stock items. Other custom-fit variations that provide more warmth are
    - no-zip booties
    - attached-hooded vests/jackets
    - skin-in neoprene

I wouldn't recommend wearing two wetsuits unless you're on vacation, in the middle of a temp gap for your two wetsuits, and don't want to buy the appropriate exposure protection.
    Doing so can stretch your suit, allows more water to enter and flush through, and you generally don't gain as much warmth compared to if you bought good fitting exposure protection in the first place.
    And even if you do pursue that route I only recommend wearing a farmer john jacket as the outer layer, since you don't have to combine neck seals of two wetsuits then.

In your specific case, 2.5mm is not sufficient enough to keep out the cold of Lake Michigan. If your 7mm flushes with water, you'll only have the 2.5mm to help you out. Think about how your neck's going to feel with a hood and two wetsuits around it as well.

For home diving use, spend your big bucks on good exposure protection. This doesn't always mean dry suit btw.
    The lake is going to be cold, much colder than Monterey. The water will be at it's highest density 3.98 degrees C at depth. It is great to have a well sealed suit, but when it is COLD, there is just no substitute for having more rubber between you and the cold.

If you can comfortably get the shorty on, inside your thick suit, then do it. It isn't going to stretch your suit out and it is not going to make it leak. Of course there are other (even more effective options) but wearing a shorty will keep you warmer.

Marine Scientist

won't set
    a status......wait-opps.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpsterDiver View Post
    The lake is going to be cold, much colder than Monterey. The water will be at it's highest density 3.98 degrees C at depth. It is great to have a well sealed suit, but when it is COLD, there is just no substitute for having more rubber between you and the cold.

If you can comfortably get the shorty on, inside your thick suit, then do it. It isn't going to stretch your suit out and it is not going to make it leak. Of course there are other (even more effective options) but wearing a shorty will keep you warmer.
    Agreeing to disagree, I don't imagine the 2 humps created by the wetsuit's velcro and zipper are going to match up nicely to create a good neck seal.

( \/ )
    (O~O)
    ('')><('')#
    my alter ego....don't ask

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Training Divers for over 30
    years!

Dives
    5,000 - ∞

Thumbs up SCUBAPRO EverDry 4

This Sp dry suit is perfect for you!

Your On-line Scubapro Platinum Dealer
    www.beaverdivers.com

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy107@gmail.com View Post
    Hi everyone, I live here in good old Wisconsin, and plan on doing some Lake Michigan diving this spring, and all my fellow divers tell me "have fun in that 7mil wetsuit" I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help keep warm with a wetsui in Lake Michigan, besides buying a dry suit. Also, could you wear a shorty uner the one piece wetsuit? I have a scubapro 2.5 mil profile shorty from vacation dives, would that help any?

Thanks
    I second the hooded step-in vest. More ideas here. Much of it is equally applicable to getting the most from a wetsuit when it's nice topside.

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast