Hogarthian vs. DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolah

Registered
Reaction score
Please shed some light on my ignorance. But what are the similarities/ dissimilarities between Hogarthian method and DIR way of diving? I have heard some tech instructors over here mention that Bill Main's way is DIR but it seems that equipment configuration and technique are different. Thanks so much for the info.

The "Hogarthian" gear configuration had simplification, streamlining, redundancy, elimination of failure points and a logical, easy to reach arrangement as its central theme. The DIR gear arrangement is a mature Hogarthian system that is standardized around the WKPP's refinements.
In other words, the DIR gear arrangement is Hogarthian, but all "Hogarthian" gear arrangements aren't "DIR."
Rick

DIR has some philosophy along with the gear config.

But that's another story.

ID

Hogarthian is a gear configuration methodology whereas DIR is a total diving philosophy which includes Hogarthian gear configuration. There's far more to DIR than equipment configuration as Don indicated.

Tom

Basically the Hog metod was around before any DIRer was even in the water. I learned the Hob method back in 1990 when I did my cave certification. DIR has simply taken something that was freely give and put it in a pretty package and made everyone feel that if you don't do it this way then your WRONG. I like the simplicity of the Hog method, also if you do it right it is cheaper then most rec divers.
But why do people have to have battles of it the biggest thing of the Hog method was people thought for themselves. DIR make a bunch of little wind ups without ablility to think because your have to do it only one way.

cheers

DING....DING....

And in this corner....

Originally posted by Ground0
....But why do people have to have battles of it ...
DIR make a bunch of little wind ups without ablility to think because your have to do it only one way....
I think that you answered your own question? Did you really just wonder why people battle about equipment configurations and then throw out a troll like that only a few sentences later? :confused: So which is it? Is the question why are there battles, or do you have a point that you would like to try and defend. (I hope that it is the first because personally, whether your point is valid or not, I think that you will get your head handed to you on a platter. Might be fun though!)

DIR has simply taken something that was freely give and put it in a pretty package and made everyone feel that if you don't do it this way then your WRONG.

If you were to see a cave diver go into a cave with standard recreational gear, would you not say he was doing it wrong? Where is the difference? DIR divers feel that their configuration is what suits their needs, and is best for their needs. I am sure you feel your configuration is best for your needs and safety, right? Or do you dive a configuration you feel to be unsafe and unfitting for your diving? I highly doubt you do, I have more confidence in you than that. So what is the difference in DIR divers thinking their gear is best sutied for them, and your gear being best suited for you? Obviously you think your gear is better than DIR, or you would be diving DIR.

But why do people have to have battles of it the biggest thing of the Hog method was people thought for themselves.

In DIR you can think for yourself too. You can either do it DIR or don't do it DIR. Simple as that. If you want to dive in a different gear configuration, then you are not DIR. Just like with Hogarthian, if you don't want to dive the long hose, you are not Hogarthian. I really don't see the difference. If DIR were named "The Irvine/Jablonski Configuration", no one would have a problem with it.

DIR make a bunch of little wind ups without ablility to think because your have to do it only one way.

I thought you did not want to battle?

In the long run, dive how you want. Dive how you feel safe, and what you know to be safe. However, if I feel that you are not being safe, don't expect me to dive with you, DIR or not.

OK. Now I know DIR and GUE - but what's Hogarthian? I have associated it with DIR, but see now for example that Diverite lists, on their website, a several different setups for their BP/wing setup. One is Hogarthian, the other DIR. As I recall, they are quite similar - like maybe one uses a 2 inch crotch strap and the other a 1 inch crotch strap.

Dave:updown: :updown: :updown:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom