HIGH PRESSURE TANK vs LOW PRESSURE TANKS...?

what kind of tank do you prefer to dive with?

• HP steel

Votes: 48 57.8%
  • LP aluminum

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • LP steel

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vcblklion

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new to diving and looking into buying my own cylinder. It was suggested that I purchase an HP 100 steel. I am learning to dive with a backplate and have a Aqualung Legend reg. Would I need to change my 1st stage to DIN in order to use a HP 100 or can I use a yoke? I'm not ready for added expense at this point.

I have a set of Worthington HP100s and they're Fantastic. Small and light, but hold more gas than an AL80. Love them. I would recommend it too. Steel tanks will outlive the diver. If you make sure to get the tank with a 200 BAR "international" or "pro" valve that has the spin out yoke insert, you don't need to convert to DIN.

My first tank was a HP AL 100 tank because that is the largest tank the shop had to rent and so I bought what I knew. I now have a HP 100 AL tank that sits unless i really need a tank, while I dive my HP steel 100, HP steel 119. I did pick up 3 LP steel 85 because I got a great deal on them used. Any tank I buy new from now on will be a HP tank smaller size for the air volume and better weighting. LP steel are nice but they are larger for the volume.

another convenience thing to think about is the diameter. You may want to choose a tank diameter and stay with that size so that you don't have to keep adjusting the straps. it is not a big deal however I am all about easy.

If you go HP be sure you can get them filled where you plan on diving.

I have a set of Worthington HP100s and they're Fantastic. Small and light, but hold more gas than an AL80. Love them. I would recommend it too. Steel tanks will outlive the diver. If you make sure to get the tank with a 200 BAR "international" or "pro" valve that has the spin out yoke insert, you don't need to convert to DIN.

In case it isn't clear for the OP, the pro valve is a DIN valve that has a screw in insert that makes it a Yoke valve, so it works for both DIN and Yoke.

above 200bar, you can only use DIN (to the best of my knowledge)

An HP 100 is a great tank but it will have to be one of the newer HP100's rated for 3442 psi. These will accept a yoke or convertible (din/yoke) valve and be fine with your yoke regulator. Older HP100's were rated for 3500 psi and would only take a 300 bar din valve which would required a compatible din connection on your regulator.

You left out HP AL in your poll, so there are going to be a few that can't answer.

Reactions: Doc
You left out HP AL in your poll, so there are going to be a few that can't answer.

The real question in my mind is 3AA, 3AL or steel exemption tanks. There's no practical distinction between 3000psi Al and 3300psi Al.

I did pick up 3 LP steel 85 because I got a great deal on them used. Any tank I buy new from now on will be a HP tank smaller size for the air volume and better weighting. LP steel are nice but they are larger for the volume.

if you decide to sell the LP85s, let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom