My urge to own a steel tank ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ...

I am thinking what I should do about my urge to own a couple of steel tanks! I live in DC area and there is no ocean nearby. This season I plan on diving North Carolina, MA (Cape Ann), Maine and the Great Lakes. These along with Florida coast will be areas that I see myself diving most frequently. I drive to these places because I have a Honda Element that is particularly enjoyable in long drives and I can also sleep in it too.

Does it make sense to own your tanks specially if you wont be diving every weekend? Can anyone tell me what are the hassles involved in owning your own tanks and whether it makes sense to consider it.

Thanks in advance -

Sinbad -

no hassles except doing vis and hydro and o2 cleaning if you need pp blending. It saves a lot of time for me as I do not need to go to the shop before and after the dive and I can select a tank that works for me the best... I would say go for it. If you can find good tanks used they lose little value overtime.

Yeah, that's probably the main thing--not having to get tanks before the dive(s) and return them same day. There are times I have rented when practical, as usually the rental cost is only like $3 more than the cost of the fill. Usually tanks are included on boat dives, but if not, I have at least one of mine with me (unless flying there of course).

Does the warranty hold if you buy used tanks? Or is the warranty even worth it?

Hello ...

I am thinking what I should do about my urge to own a couple of steel tanks! I live in DC area and there is no ocean nearby. This season I plan on diving North Carolina, MA (Cape Ann), Maine and the Great Lakes. These along with Florida coast will be areas that I see myself diving most frequently. I drive to these places because I have a Honda Element that is particularly enjoyable in long drives and I can also sleep in it too.

Does it make sense to own your tanks specially if you wont be diving every weekend? Can anyone tell me what are the hassles involved in owning your own tanks and whether it makes sense to consider it.

Thanks in advance -

Sinbad -

i think it depends on how much u dive, at least cost wise.

for example, i got both my aluminum 80's for ~$180 (TOTAL after hydro + vis). In a year and 1/2 i did ~ 46 dives. at $5 a fill i spent $230. if i would have rented at $9 a tank, i'd have spent $414. a $184 difference.

iv pretty much broke even in terms of what i spent.

The more u go diving the more the investment pays off.

If they are used (READ: not abused) and in good shape then they should be pretty good. The only tanks I have heard of where a warranty may have been beneficial was the old Luxfer (also sold under Dacor, U.S. Divers, etc...) tanks manufactured between 1972 and 1990 (approx) that used 6351-T6 Aluminum as the Alloy - they were basically bombs and not too many LDS will fill them anymore, even with Hydro and Viz (read about this on Google, pretty scary $#!?)!

i think it depends on how much u dive, at least cost wise.

for example, i got both my aluminum 80's for ~$180 (TOTAL after hydro + vis). In a year and 1/2 i did ~ 46 dives. at $5 a fill i spent $230. if i would have rented at $9 a tank, i'd have spent $414. a $184 difference.

iv pretty much broke even in terms of what i spent.

The more u go diving the more the investment pays off.

And you did not even count the time you spent on returning the tanks back. So depending on the logistics you might have even gained. Then again you can go for a dive any time you want.

Also, before getting the tanks think if you plan to move onto doubles later. If you do it's worth doing the research on which doubles will work for you. You can even buys a set of doubles break them down and put the manifold and the bands aside, for now. Later you can put them back.

Back
Top Bottom