hydro and vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smithfielddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't mind supporting my local dive shop but it is expensive.

Last tank hydro with 32% nitrox fill.

hydro- $35
VIP-$20
Tumbling and Rust Treat- $35
Burst Assy- $20
32% Nitrox-$24
tax-$2.45
Total or $141.45

What do you guys think?

Is this on line or unreasonable?

The dive shop I go to is the only place I go to so if I am having a problem with rust is the shop causing it. This is the second time they have done this on this tank!

What do ya'll think.

ouch think it's time to shop around

The only fair deal I see there is the Tax.

That's partly why I just took the class to do visual inspections.

-Mitch

around here, the visual is $10, but the hydro is $40.... BD seems to be in line, can't tell as to the others - Nitrox seems high, but I might get sticker shock the next time....

Find a new shop.

Dive shops in SoCal charge similar fees for the hydro and tumbling.
Hydros can be done more inexpensively ($15 or less) if the diver takes the tank directly to the hydrotest facility (industrial welding shop?) and cuts out the middleman. Same can be said for the tumbling service.

Charging $20 for a VIP on top of a hydro is highway robbery. $5-$10 for the VIP of a steel tank is more reasonable.

$24 for a 32% nitrox fill is ridiculously high.

If you're only getting fills from one shop...and you're getting rust inside your tank...and you aren't diving your tank until it's completely empty (which would otherwise raise the probability of water infiltration), then the shop is to blame for introducing water into your tank.

Here in SoCal the most common cause of rust inside a tank is getting a wet fill on a dive boat. I once saw an inexperienced crewmember expose a fill whip to seawater and then, without clearing it, he began to attach it to a tank valve for filling. I stopped him. If I hadn't said anything, he probably would have ended up shooting some saltwater into that tank. It really doesn't take much to initiate the rusting process.

You didn't mention what kind of tank you had serviced. Around here when there's a sale, for $140, one might be able to purchase a brand, new AL80 that comes with a 10-fill air card.

That's partly why I just took the class to do visual inspections.

-Mitch
Okay, you just got my attention, you mean to say that You can take a class and You can do do your own visuals?
I already had my doubts about these visuals (other than generating money for the diveshop)
But now you say you inspect AND put a sicker on it :shocked2:

So IMO the whole VIP system just sucks. :shakehead:

Okay, you just got my attention, you mean to say that You can take a class and You can do do your own visuals?
Why not? An individual can take a VIP class just as easily as a dive shop employee.
FWIW, I believe that PSI Cylinders teaches VIP classes at various regional scuba shows in the U.S.

As long as a dive shop recognizes the sticker as a valid VIP (conducted by an authorized VIP inspector), getting the shop to fill the tank shouldn't be an issue.

Why not? An individual can take a VIP class just as easily as a dive shop employee.
FWIW, I believe that PSI Cylinders teaches VIP classes at various regional scuba shows in the U.S.

As long as a dive shop recognizes the sticker as a valid VIP (conducted by an authorized VIP inspector), getting the shop to fill the tank shouldn't be an issue.

What don't you understand here ??

I'm testing MY own tanks, SURE they'll NOT gona fail
What's the purpose of the VIP now ??

IF a test is done,it should be done by an indepentend person or organisation.
NOT the user him/her self.
Could be me :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom