20 year shelf life for Aluminum dive cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ramo0604

New
Reaction score
I am "relatively" new to the diving scene, only diving for 3 years. I recently bought 4 aluminum tanks that were made in 95' and 94' that were only used for one year given that the VIP sticker on the tank was from 95'. I sent them to a dive shop to get Hydro and VIP inspected, and they passed. At the dive shop, trying to make small talk, I asked the owner a few questions about aluminum tanks etc. one of the questions was about steal tanks vs. aluminum tanks. The owner brought up that aluminum tanks only have a 20 year shelf life regardless of how little or how much use it has. so I asked him this "so if the year was 2020 and I brought tanks that were from 2000, would I be able to get them hydro inspected?" he replied "no, and most dive shops would not even fill it." his reasoning is that 20 years is an arbitrary number that the people who hydro it chose saying that the tank has expanded and contracted enough times that the metal has fatigued. Even though the reason seems sound, I would like to know how true this is?

Thank you sincerely Ramo

There are too many mis-informed dive shops out there. If it was an employee who told you that I would say you should talk to the owner and make sure his staff is informed. Since it is the owner that told you this completely false information I suggest you find another dive shop. If the owner does not take the time to learn his trade he should not be in business.

Look in the phone book for Fire Extinguishers, then call to ask about Hydroing a scuba tank. More work, less cost, straight scoop. You keep the valve and give them the tank.

Thanks for replying so swift and prompt guys.

The dive shop that I went to I assumed was a highly regarded one since they were a tech shop and do all types of cert classes. Since this was my first time hearing about it I contacted a few other dive shops and asked them as well; it was the first that they heard of this subject as well, so i tried to do a bit of research myself, and could not find anything so I tried here. As for the dive shop that I heard this from, It was the owner who told me this. so I assumed there would be some truth to it, but every single source besides him never once told me this so thank you all once again.

Few shops actually provide training on this topic to their employees, and so there's lots of misinformation floating around out there. These kinds of questions are best asked to your local bulk gas dealer. Scuba tanks follow the same rules as any other compressed gas cylinder.

He is not telling you the truth at all. There are lots of stories about shops pulling this kind of crap to try and sell you something else. I seriously hope you inform him of your findings and then inform him that you will be posting the name of his operation here and on your facebook page if you have one. May save someone else from being screwed over. Shops like this do not deserve to make it. They should be shut down.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The dive shop that I went to I assumed was a highly regarded one since they were a tech shop and do all types of cert classes.

There ya go.... run don't walk in the other direction

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom