Rescue Pocket Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Ranger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just finished my CPR/ EFR class in prep to take PADI's Rescue Diver Course- Well in the training that talk about a "Pocket" Mask- Does anyone else carry one and if so, what so you carry? I'm unsure as what to get and will it survive being carried in the BCD pocket at depth etc. getting completly wet.
Does anyone have any insite on this?

Thanks

Dennis

I picked up an XS Scuba Highland Backup Mask with Glue-On Pocket. The strap and sides fold in easily and I snugged it down with a bungee loop and clipped it to a bungee from the D-ring that is inside the pocket.

Just last week, I blew my mask off on a roll-over from a boat (the strap popped off when I released my hand over the mask glass, and it dropped off my face), pulled it out in seconds and was good to go to recover my main mask.

[EDIT] Oh, duh. You were talking the CPR mask. No, I don't carry one of those, although I took CPR from Red Cross and also got one from DAN with a Oxygen class.

I own a Laerdal Pocket Mask, Oxygen Version. It has a one-way mouth valve and also a barbed fitting for supplying oxygen.

I never considered carrying it on a dive, however. It stays with my first-aid kit and oxygen kit at the dive site. I would not consider giving rescue breaths in the water unless I had one or two good assistants during the kick in, or a float board. And I would probably not use a barrier mask, just mouth-to-mouth. I've done that before in a real emergency, although never in the water.

The question of in-water breaths has engendered many a lively discussion on SB.

Good luck with your rescue course!

-Bryan

A rescue mask for CPR starting coming out as part of the rescue back in the 1980's/1990's with the concerns regarding body fluid transmissions of diseases. The fear at the time was HIV/AIDS but other body fluid disease such as hepatitis B are actually easier to transmit than HIV. In general it is not a bad idea to have at least one in the first aid kit.

Recent American Red Cross guidelines have been changing to emphasize effective chest compressions over rescue breaths. It is currently acceptable that if a rescuer is unwilling, or untrained, chest compressions only are an acceptable alternative.

As far as putting a mask in your BC pocket, I'm not sure how much more that would help in a rescue. To have either rescue breaths and especially chest compressions the victim should be on a hard surface. In the water this is near impossible unless a back board is available. It would be better to get the victim either on shore or on the boat ASAP rather than try starting ineffective CPR while in the water.

Besides, if you are diving with a friend as your buddy you shouldn't have a huge concern regarding a body fluid disease. At least I hope not. All bets are off if you are with an instabuddy which is for practical purposes a complete stranger.

I've never bothered to carry any of mine while doing wilderness stuff. I might be more likely to in the water (though unlikely), but it would go in my handy-dandy new thigh pocket instead of a BC pocket...

EDIT: I agree with eponym and freewillie, getting to a boat/shore where appropriate rescue tools are would be the first priority so no need to carry it on a dive.

I only bother to carry one topside. If I'm in the water my priority is to get the diver out ASAP. If there's a long swim then and only then will I choose to give rescue breaths. I find a rescue mask for scuba to be an idealized item that's loses it's advantages in a real world situation.

Fiddling with a pocket mask and trying to get a good seal when your victim's head is at eye level is challenging enough. Trying to avoid dunking their head while keeping it tilted back is a nightmare. If you keep the victim's BC on it helps a little but then you have more drag and it'll take you much longer to swim them in, if you take it off......goodluck with that rescue mask.
Also the rescue mask is +buoyant, you may lose it at depth.

Having been a lifeguard for a waterpark it's hard enough doing rescue breaths on a backboard. And we usually turn OFF the wave pool when we're doing rescues.

I keep mine in my first aid / O2 kit. I can't really see it being particularly useful in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We practiced in water rescue breaths with and without masks in my rescue class, and the mask makes it much easier. Without the mask I found it almost impossible to give effective breaths. With it, I can give effective breaths and strip gear/tow the victim. The shop I dive with requires all DMs and instructors to carry a pocket mask, and the ones DAN sells with the plastic case hold up just fine to diving. While I agree that getting to shore/on the boat is a priority, if you can give breaths while towing, so much the better.
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/store/home.aspx?id=9
If you do decide to carry one, make sure you practice with it, since it takes a few tries to learn how to position yourself and the victim effectively for use. Also, if you have the one way valve, keep a couple fingers on it as you pop the mask open or it can fly off, and it will immediately sink, which I've seen happen many times in rescue class (including the first time I tried it.

Have fun in Rescue! It's a great class!

Colin

Always have one in my BC pocket. It's held up well for several years. I clean it along with the rest of my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom