A&I Split - Snorkel vs. Reg at the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some ops, like Aldora, have a policy that everyone ascends together. Fine, that is their policy and it may well be safer and I have no complaints or criticisms of that procedure. I suppose if a diver feels that they are only safe in a group and when accompanied by a DM, then they should ask about such policies before booking dives.

A large portion of dive fatalities occur when the diver safely reaches the surface, but then fails to stay there, drops back below the surface and is lost, injured or dies. This can be caused by any number of SCUBA or medical-related problems and is why it's so important to ascend with a buddy.

There is relative safety with a well-trained buddy. There is only perceived safety in a group, with or without a DM.

flots.

Last edited by a moderator:
A large portion of dive fatalities occur when the diver safely reaches the surface, but then fails to stay there, drops back below the surface and is lost, injured or dies. This can be caused by any number of SCUBA or medical-related problems and is why it's so important to ascend with a buddy.
Spitting the reg out on surface can be problematic too. I like to keep mine in until I am on the boat usually, as breathing surface air when a wave hits can possibly lead to problems, maybe even panic.

spitting the reg out on surface can be problematic too. I like to keep mine in until i am on the boat usually, as breathing surface air when a wave hits can possibly lead to problems, maybe even panic.

snorkel.

Hi Jen and welcome to SB...

Sounds like a dreadful experience. I've seen some other rumors here about another lady, but don't know.

I carry one, and some do - some don't. If you're on the surface with 500#, you should be able to stay on the reg for a long time still. Sometimes I do switch to my snorkel close to the boat before passing my rig up ahead of me. I carry a pocket snorkel with velcro attachment. :thumb: I think the verlcro is $5, and my snorkel folds up in my BC pocket.

The regulator works better when you're re-boarding, a wave smacks the boat up and down like a Tonka toy, and you find yourself upside down in the water 10' back from the ladder, wondering "What the hell just happened?"

There aren't any refunds for unused air, so if it's in the tank I prefer to use it while climbing the ladder

flots.

Last edited:
Sometimes I do switch to my snorkel close to the boat before passing my rig up ahead of me. I carry a pocket snorkel with velcro attachment.
thumbb.gif
I think the verlcro is $5, and my snorkel folds up in my BC pocket.

I was taught to switch to snorkle upon surfacing to conserve air. Wrong!! No need to conserve at the end. Bopping up and down on the surface often ends up with my head under water. I keep my reg in my mouth where it belongs until my BC is handed off with me firmly affixed to the ladder or I am in the boat.

Lets not forget the context of the thread here. If it is difficult bobbing around without a reg / snorkel waiting for the ladder, think how difficult it'll be waiting for the boat to come back!?!?! I always use my reg when boarding. I use my snorkel waiting for the ladder so I'll have plenty of air to use if my egress does go belly up. There aren't any freebies tank rolls for tanks that have been sucked dry of air while underwater. Been there done that, sad sight rust stains on the bottom of your tank.:(

I have been on the surface more than a few times recently when I was more than happy to keep my regulator in my mouth. I think it is good advice for such situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom