Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 1 BCD 2 divers: Is it okay?

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

knows better, but that has
    not stopped him yet.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2012 at 06:10 PM ----------

While most of us would agree that such tandem dives can, and have been done, they increase the level of risk to both divers in a way that is hard to agree with, especially if even the "diver" is really just a novice, or beginning diver.

I certainly do not think that the basic scuba forum is any place to condone such dives, at all, as they do carry heightened risk that is just plain unnecessary, and we do not wish other beginning divers to risk their lives because of some odd suggestion they have read in here..
    Last edited by MMM; April 25th, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: references to deleted post removed

[IMG]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181070&stc=1&d=1396550 637[/IMG [
    popcorn, turn the last> [ to the left, like this> ]

custom Jewelery, inspired by my love of nature, and diving:

http://www.facebook.com/ringdoctor

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Gypsyjim, you are right about the need to make clear that the dive the OP mentioned is a bad idea, it is.
    gypsyjim likes this.

Tech Instructor
    Go Red - Support SB!

PADI/SSI/BSAC/ANDI/TecRec
    Tec/Advanced Sidemount,Trimix,
    Technical Wreck Instructor

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    There's an obvious difference between what you can do and what you should do. The difference between those two states is often dictated by the risk you wish to subject yourself, or others, to.

Rather than provide a definitive yes/no to either state... it's more beneficial to encourage the use of individual common sense.

Step 1 - Understand the risks and how they can be mitigated.
    Step 2 - Understand the capabilities of the divers concerned, including yourself.
    Step 3 - Make an informed, reasonable and common-sense, decision based upon the information you have.

When it comes to people at 'dive pro' level - then such decisions go beyond simple common-sense, because they have additional requirements that are imposed by duty-of-care (exhibiting reasonable prudence in their professional activities) and also the imposition of mandatory agency standards on how they conduct specific activities.

Scuba Instructor

has no status- he's
    just another instructor

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    My first dives in NZ were with my uncle- the briefing pretty much consisted of

"Here you go boy,
    Rule 1: Don't hold your breath.
    Rule 2: Don't run out of air.
    Rule 3: Come up slowly."

We went down and while he went lobstering I swam around behind. I reckon I had dived at least a dozen times before hearing about licenses. I am not advocating this kind of instruction but it does exist.

ScubaBoard Contributor

is going to the Big Island in
    May

Dives
    50 - 99
    Best way to introduce someone to the beauties of the underwater world, is to leave the scuba gear on the shore or boat, and take them snorkeling instead.
    gypsyjim likes this.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Scuba Instructor

has no status- he's
    just another instructor

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    This one on the other hand........Name:  Egypt trydive.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  8.5 KB this kind of diving is not a good idea

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    A 13-YEAR-OLD schoolgirl is being sued by a classmate over a tennis court mishap at one of Queensland's top private schools in the latest blow to playground fun. The legal claim, over a bruised eye, has raised concerns that "litigation-crazy'' parents could threaten the future of school sport by forcing up insurance costs.
    Is it really worth the risk...

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by KD8NPB View Post
    Thank you, but I'll decide on that risk.
    Except if your status is not updated, I highly doubt you're qualified for that.
    People have died in pool training sessions, and really shallow dives.
    The 100% safe conditions doesn't exist.
    You said the person you intend to take diving knows what are the risks, allow me to have also doubt about that.

As many people said before, this is a bad idea.

In many places, a DSD is definetely not that expensive, and doesn't mean it's going to be 12 students for 1 instructor.
    It means a qualified person doing his job.

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyLompoc View Post
    I experienced this in Europe before I was certified. An instrudtor would attach himself to the non-diver (like tandem parachute) who wanted to experience diving. You are given the basics, like how to clear befor you are taken under.
    I have, sadly seen almost the same in the Red Sea.
    Some DM/Guides actually just share air with the first diver to run low and then finish the dive when the next diver gets low on air..
    That IS with certified divers in their group, but the DM/guide would be seriously inhibited with regards to helping anyone when hes busy buddy breathing with another diver. NOT the kind of dive op I would want to go diving with..
    gypsyjim likes this.
    If your face aint numb.. It aint a cold water dive!
    I wonder if periodic short term exposure to risk can decrease your longterm risk of accidents. I hope it does..

The best video ever for a diver to watch - The divers ear http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/
    a lesson learned - Blown o-ring AT DEPTH!: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/nea...g-depth-o.html
    My website http://www.evenalie.com and Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/89057162@N03/collections/

is an entanglement hazard

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMissJude View Post
    People have died in pool training sessions, and really shallow dives.
    And, if you read the A&I threads many of those died while under the tutelage of "qualified" personnel.

Humm......
    captain, Zieg and fjpatrum like this.
    If no one reinvented the wheel we'd still be driving around on stone wheels.

My personal website: http://www.manfish.ca/
    Fraser Valley Scuba Club: http://www.fvscuba.org/
    Cultus Lake Project:Cultus Lake Project

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast