1 BCD 2 divers: Is it okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudbuster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I dont know if that the right way to refer to what I want to ask but here it is.

Can and Open Water Cert. let you to take someone with you on a dive? (20-25 Feet)

Someone took me on a dive like that when I was about 13 but I dont remember if that person was a instructor or just Open Water Cert.
I want to know before hand.
Thanks.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The practice being referred to is contrary to safe diving teachings espoused by virtually all certifying agencies, and particularly so when done by someone without the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to address the issues they might face. As an unsafe scuba practice, it is contrary to ScubaBoard Terms of Service. However, in the interest of educating people about the dangers of this practice, the thread is being allowed to stand so that people with the necessary knowledge, skills and experience can comment on the wisdom of this practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I dont know if that the right way to refer to what I want to ask but here it is.

Can and Open Water Cert. let you to take someone with you on a dive? (20-25 Feet)

Someone took me on a dive like that when I was about 13 but I dont remember if that person was a instructor or just Open Water Cert.
I want to know before hand.
Thanks.

If I'm imagining this right, you're asking if two people go diving sharing a single tank of air?

Yes ... it can physically be done.

No ... it's not a good idea.

And if one of the two divers involved has no prior scuba training, it's an extremely bad idea ... you can injure yourself seriously without even being aware of how or why you did it.

If you want to share your underwater experiences with a friend, the simplest way would be to sign him or her up for a Discover Scuba lesson ... it's not that expensive, and will save you both a lot of potential pain ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm a little confused about the way you phrased the question. It sounds like you want to take someone with you that is not wearing a BC of their own and is perhaps using your octo to breathe off of? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

What did you learn in your ow certificantion?

I can't think of any certification that promotes two divers on one air source, bcd. The idea is a tad shocking, as there are some significant safety issues..

Bad joo-joo. Way to many ways for someone to get severely injured or killed.

I'll bite. Here are some questions to answer:

a. Since there are no "scuba police" so if you do something, who is to prohibit you from doing it?

b. How would you do this?

c. How much risk do you want to take?

d. How much do YOU know about the possible risks?

Introducing people to the joys of blowing bubbles is a lot of fun but it is not "risk free." How much risk, well it depends.

BTW, the "book answer" is have the person do a Discover Scuba with a properly trained individual -- my guess is that that person will have a much better experience than doing this with a new diver.

I experienced this in Europe before I was certified. An instrudtor would attach himself to the non-diver (like tandem parachute) who wanted to experience diving. You are given the basics, like how to clear befor you are taken under.

The practice being referred to is contrary to safe diving teachings espoused by virtually all certifying agencies, and particularly so when done by someone without the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to address the issues they might face. As an unsafe scuba practice, it is contrary to ScubaBoard Terms of Service. However, in the interest of educating people about the dangers of this practice, the post is being allowed to stand so that people with the necessary knowledge, skills and experience can comment on the wisdom of this practice.

I experienced this in Europe before I was certified. An instrudtor would attach himself to the non-diver (like tandem parachute) who wanted to experience diving. You are given the basics, like how to clear befor you are taken under.

I can think of a bunch of "what ifs", but I'll just stick to one.

Assuming that I understand how they are attached (like a tandem parachute) What if the diver panics, snaps their head back and breaks your primary regulator?

As mentioned, there are no SCUBA Police (unless you're in France, in which case there are).

This means that the reality is that you can do whatever you want, wherever you want. This may or may not be a good idea, depending on what you're thinking of doing.

An Open Water card (or any SCUBA card) is good for absolutely nothing except to certify that the holder has had the training specified on the card, however it does not "prevent" anybody from doing anything.

That said, it is specifically not a "good idea" to take a non-diver underwater because you may cause permanent disability, injury or death in one or both of you.

If you have a friend who wants to try SCUBA, have them sign up for "Try SCUBA" at any reputable shop or dive op. It will be much safer, and when they're done, you'll still have a friend.

flots.

Last edited:
I might do it in a friend's pool just to show them what SCUBA is like and to get them interested in it, but not without giving them a crash course of training first

The behaviour being advocated is contrary to safe diving teachings espoused by virtually all certifying agencies, and particularly so when done by someone without the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to address the issues they might face. As an unsafe scuba practice, it is contrary to ScubaBoard Terms of Service. However, in the interest of educating people about the dangers of this practice, the post is being allowed to stand so that people with the necessary knowledge, skills and experience can comment on the wisdom of this practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom