Should graphic photos be included in reports about dive accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturation

Medical Moderator
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Its rare to post explicit photos like that in the western press, but its common in many other parts of the world. Alas, I was requested to pull the link, so others may have to use their search skills to find it.

FWIW, that link is one of the few newspaper related reports, others are blogs or online reports, so its a better source to archive.

:worship:
Thanks for yet another excellent post.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is split off from a side discussion that occurred in the Accidents and Incidents forum. The issue arose when a board member asked the person who made a link to photos of the accident to remove it. That person did so. A discussion began as to whether or not this was appropriate.The original thread can be found here:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...ool-riviera-maya-2-brazillian-1-spaniard.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Its rare to post explicit photos like that in the western press, but its common in many other parts of the world. Alas, I was requested to pull the link, so others may have to use their search skills to find it.

FWIW, that link is one of the few newspaper related reports, others are blogs or online reports, so its a better source to archive.

When I was in high school we had to watch a movie about car accidents. It was very explicit and graphic. When I because a scuba instructor I was encouraged to downplay the risks of diving and promote the joy and adventure. When I became a rebreather instructor I started to speak openly and candidly about the accidents that I have become aware of.
It always irks me when people say "at least they died doing what they loved" Having seen pictures of a person's worn away finger tips from trying to claw through limestone paints a much different picture.

When I was in high school we had to watch a movie about car accidents. It was very explicit and graphic. When I because a scuba instructor I was encouraged to downplay the risks of diving and promote the joy and adventure. When I became a rebreather instructor I started to speak openly and candidly about the accidents that I have become aware of.
It always irks me when people say "at least they died doing what they loved" Having seen pictures of a person's worn away finger tips from trying to claw through limestone paints a much different picture.

Yes, that's a very similar analogy to showing graphic diving accidents.

In some cities, like LA, there are programs for convicted DUI drivers to work in a morgue and examine victims of auto accidents to hammer the issues in.

Judge Sends Lohan to the Morgue - Actress will chase DUI conviction with community service

The photos are as much pure facts and strikes harder than any discussion or speculation we can do. Its worth 1000+ words. Because its so true and stressful, both to viewers and the families, its unfortunately, rarely posted, and since we have them, it should be available, a diver has to click to see the photo so no one is forcing anyone to see them. Diving accidents should be given a similar treatment particularly since all this risk is engaged for dives that are all recreational in nature. Ignoring the photo, or failing to click the links does not make the truth of it go away.

I couldn't agree more and I would implore the SB staff to return the offending link. If you want to put a warning on it go ahead but if we ignore the reality of why we insist on rules and training in these environments then these people truly died in vain.
I have already had to find the body of one friend who ignored the rules and died "doing what he loved". If a graphic image helps spare someone else that reality it should be made available. Isn't that what these forums are for?

Yes, that's a very similar analogy to showing graphic diving accidents.

In some cities, like LA, there are programs for convicted DUI drivers to work in a morgue and examine victims of auto accidents to hammer the issues in.

Judge Sends Lohan to the Morgue - Actress will chase DUI conviction with community service

The photos are as much pure facts and strikes harder than any discussion or speculation we can do. Its worth 1000+ words. Because its so true and stressful, both to viewers and the families, its unfortunately, rarely posted, and since we have them, it should be available, a diver has to click to see the photo so no one is forcing anyone to see them. Diving accidents should be given a similar treatment particularly since all this risk is engaged for dives that are all recreational in nature. Ignoring the photo, or failing to click the links does not make the truth of it go away.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The link deletion did not occur because of intervention by SB mods. It was by the choice/decision of the person who posted it.

I couldn't agree more and I would implore the SB staff to return the offending link. If you want to put a warning on it go ahead but if we ignore the reality of why we insist on rules and training in these environments then these people truly died in vain.

I agree with showing the harsh reality of what happens when people make stupid decisions. From my line of work, I think anyone who decides to smoke cigarettes should come to my ICU and watch me withdraw care on a 52 yr. old patient with a 120 pack year history of smoking whose lungs no longer work and watch them fight for their last breaths despite all the sedation and pain medicine I can legally and ethically give them. I think a few people might put down the cigarettes if they were forced to watch that. Likewise, I think that if someone had the image of the bloody and bloated face of a diver who went where they werent supposed to go, they might think twice about going into a cave.

Jordan.

Sorry to see the picture link gone. They communicated reality in a way that words never could. I don't understand how pictures of a victim can be off topic in a forum that exists to analyze dive accidents.

Sorry to see the picture link gone. They communicated reality in a way that words never could. I don't understand how pictures of a victim can be off topic in a forum that exists to analyze dive accidents.
They may or may be seen as off topic, but they are hard NOT to see as a violation of the PG rating policy of scubaboard. They are not very suitable for pre-teens..

They may or may be seen as off topic, but they are hard NOT to see as a violation of the PG rating policy of scubaboard. They are not very suitable for pre-teens..

In looking back at some of the videos that I saw as a kid growing up and taking driver's ed.......some pretty graphic pictures were shown in the name of education (perhaps shock therapy). I do not think we are doing anybody justice by making any scuba related death "prettier" than it actually was just because somebody might see it. The way I look at it, if it is relevant to the incident, then it is relevant to the discussion and should be allowed. This area is dedicated to the discussion of facts and speculation on incidents. We seldom get facts so photo's are a great inclusion. Just because they are graphic does not mean they should be excluded IMO.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2012 at 12:47 PM ----------

To add to my post.....

I am not stating that I believe all graphic photos should automatically posted however I do not believe they should be moderated out of a thread where they are relevant to the incident. They could be there in the form of a link or an actual photo. To remove the photo's because of their graphic nature in an effort to control what younger readers might see is to moderate out relevant and factual information from an incident discussion where people are trying to save future lives by ensuring the same thing does not happen again. To me, that does not make sense. I think the board members would benefit more by restricting access to the A&I forum to adults rather than making the incidents look prettier.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Yes. A click-able link so those who do not chose to view it, do not have to view it.

Back
Top Bottom